• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice on a portable carbon pile tester

HDMRice

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
G'day!

I'm looking for a little advice on a portable carbon pile to store in my service truck, or if these are even used in the field.

I ask because I always find that using the method of switching on all the accessories never gives me accurate results when testing a charging system.

Thank you!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I've got an Autometer SB5 that I scored on Ebay years ago for 375 bucks, has been a very useful tool to test batteries. It's got enough draw to it to test big capacity batteries, like golf cart batteries and Group 31 truck batteries. Those type of batteries just laugh at the little hand held resistive type testers.

crewchief888

in the past, the carbon pile testers always seemed a little fragile to be bouncing around in a service truck.
our dealership just purchased new midtronics units ( with printer) for all 7 of the service trucks and 5 shops.

:drinkup