• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice on a cleaner sand

millertime778

Occupation
Vice President- City Hill Construction Inc.
Hello all,

I operate a small sand and gravel pit in upstate NY. We have a 5x16 screen with a single sand screw to make our ice control sand. We have a few towns that are buying the sand like its going out of style and love it, and a few towns who say that it has to many fines in it. We have made a second batch of sand that we ran though our wash plant twice and all of the town went crazy for it. But we all know that is not the most profitable way to do that. I am wondering what the most affordable way is to get the rest of the fines out. We are so freaking close its not even funny. I had two ideas in mind:

1: Buying a 2nd sand screw to put on the end of the one we have now so that the sand has more time in the screw to me cleaned.

2. Slowing the speed of our sand screw we have now so that it is in the screw longer as well.

If anyone has any other ideas on improving production please let me know! Thank you for your time.

millertime778

Occupation
Vice President- City Hill Construction Inc.
By saturation box I assume you mean the box the material drops into off of the feed conveyor? If so we have a very good amount of water mixing in with the material when it enters that box. Our was plant is a three deck 5x16 plant that has spray bars on all three decks and a sand screw underneath with a back flush.