• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice on 955 purchase

dhutch

I'm looking at a 955H (I think) that's in need of rails. I was unable to read the serial number on the data plate due to paint. The machine runs good, no problems noted with the hydraulics, etc, just the rails are worn out. Asking price is $3500. I'm looking to use it for farm work and some jobs for hire. Any advice on the machine, reliability, pricing etc is appreciated. Is this particular model prone to certain parts breaking or having more wear than another series? etc. Any help or advice is appreciated in advance.

Attachments

• 955-1.JPG
    955-1.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 748
  • 955-2.JPG
    955-2.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 758
Last edited:

JeremiahSr

Occupation
Vice Pres./General man./Technician
She's an oldie! 955H probally a 60A prefix in 1966. 955H 72A prefix 1965 to 1966 was made in France and the 93A was made in Japan. The others could have been imported on grey market though. The parts on it should still be available at good price after-market. The engine looks like an old precombustioned 3304. These machine held up good for many years. Even 30 years only repairing the majors once. (engine, trans, clutches, finals, etc.) But this thing is over 44 years young now. Good machine in it's day, but buy a good set of wrenches if you expect alot of work out of 'er.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
Wow,......Yeah it's an old girl thats for sure, however it probably has a D330 in it,....not sure cant even see the motor by the pics but that's what my old junker had in it, whatever motor it is, it looks like its doing plenty of smoking....is it blue or black smoke?

if the rails are worn you better plan on just running it till they fall off, there is no reason to put 4k worth of rails underneath of the it.

it should be a powershift with a 2spd rear end, hand clutch foot brake......you deffinatly have your hands full trying to run the thing that's for sure.

price dont sound too bad, that's about what it'll weigh for scrap, use the thing till it breaks and then thro her in the scrap yard

Pj

dhutch

Thanks for the info. It was blue fuel smoke while I was running it, although I'm sure its a little white when it first starts.
I've found a complete set of tracks for $2000, so I may go that route, or just wait a year or two and see how things go and any other issues I run into.
I figured early to mid 60's, it'll be fun to mess around with along with my TD9B.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Personally I would stay away from it. I think the later H machines were electric start and turbocharged. These engines were not one of Cat's best and can be prone to bearing problems and cracked heads, I have heard. Not an easy machine to work on either. More info over on the ACMOC forum.

I parted one of these out and still have a few parts. Phil:)

Last edited:

dhutch

This is an electric start turbo charged version. I've heard these engines do have some weak points, but with good maint and no more than I'll run it, I should be ok. Thanks just the same.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
If it's anything like my 977H you'll love it! At least I love my 977! It's a really tough old machine, does everything I ask of it and keeps coming back for more. If you're gentle with it and keep up on the maintenance I can't see why it shouldn't last you for a while. You might get lucky and find some tracks somewhere for a good deal!
Cheers!

Brandt

I have a 1961 955H. You should love it! That is a bargain price. I paid $10K for mine about 4 years ago. It came with an extra smooth bucket and a BUNCH of parts. I have had no problems with mine except that it does run a little hot in the summer if you are working it hard. Make sure you watch your Temp gauge!