• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice for my first big job

OldandWorn

Finally!!

I wanted something a little special for the first power used but the pickings were slim. Junk Chinese work light or a 50 year old fan that purrs like new....hmmm. Many thanks again to the helpers and followers. :notworthy :drinkup

PC280075.jpg

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Good one OldandWorn, I bet it was a nice feeling to finally flick that switch!

I am not familiar with those box thingy's that are causing you grief through misalignment . . . what are they and what are they made of, it kinda looks like plastic?

Cheers.

OldandWorn

Yair . . . Good one OldandWorn, I bet it was a nice feeling to finally flick that switch!

I am not familiar with those box thingy's that are causing you grief through misalignment . . . what are they and what are they made of, it kinda looks like plastic?

Cheers.

Yes it was Scrub, and especially sweet without generator noise.

Not quite sure what they are made from but they are amazingly strong like the box that the transformer is sitting on. Could be fiberglass, plastic, or a combination of both? They are just empty boxes with two power cables connected together inside and I could give it a push with the hoe or tractor to straighten it out. The really crooked one is on my neighbors property and it will eventually be hidden by tall grass and forgotten about. It just bugs me that most people out there don't take a little extra time to do things right. When the concrete pad was dangling from the crane it would have been so simple to make sure it was straight and centered. :beatsme

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Congrats on the success of the project OldandWorn! :drinkup

There is nothing like the sense of satisfaction finishing a long, tough job.:) I would take some topsoil and backfill around the concrete pad to cover the stone up and finish out the grade. That's what we do around transclosures, leave the soil a couple of inches below the top of the concrete.

Scrub I don't know what material OldandWorn's transclosures are made of but in my area the power co. has switched from concrete bases to plastic bases and then set a metal transclosure on top. They used to use concrete pads but did away with them a few years ago. In my area we don't really have to worry about grass/forest fires, rains too damn much.:rolleyes:

OldandWorn

Thanks CM...filling is a great idea. You made me look at the drawings again and they even show that. :duh Not that it matters but the rear of these pads are about 15" higher then the front to get them level.

I now have a (more welcome) problem of getting rid of the extension cords. I have a 100' cord going to the trailer and a 100' cord going to my 955 for the smart chargers and at least one has to go across the road. I want to trench to the trailer but I sure don't want to use the hoe bucket. I wish I had like a single claw or ripper to install on the hoe or ag tractor. I might try renting a trencher but that didn't work out too well last time. :beatsme

Last edited:

OldandWorn

I just had to post this. My service started on December 22 and I have been wondering when I would receive my first bill. Since the power companies changed midstream I figured it got delayed in the shuffle. Well...it came today, like Thor's hammer it did....$665.03 :eek:

Of course it was estimated but I wasn't expecting this. Lets see, I'm up to a whopping 3kwh on the meter now, so 62 cents X 3 plus $4.37 meter charge and maybe some other fluff thrown in. Yep, I should probably call them. :Banghead :D

OldandWorn

Hi Bob, a phone call took care of it. They were billing it as a residence with the usage estimates of their service area during a very very cold winter. My figures that I posted were way off also. Adding all of the charges and taxes it's 14 cents per kwh and a little over $2 for the meter charge. The new bill was less than $3 but I sent $100 in so I wouldn't have to be paying small amounts every month. The meter reader has only been out once so far and I'm recording the actual readings through their website.

I have all of the materials to run power to an RV pedestal next to my trailer so that will be one of the next projects. I didn't want to mess up the nice gravel area with a 12" wide trench using the hoe but it looks like that is my best option unless I want to dig 100' by hand.