• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advertising my trucking business.

old skool iron

Occupation
:·)»
I have been using the local craigslist but there is a big problem with getting your posts flaged. I guess there are a lot of bored people with nothing better to do. The phone book is to high priced with the current slow down in the trucking industry. I was wanting to find a different way to advertise, and cost effective. If not free,wishfull thinking i know. OSI

DigDug

Is this a gravel trucking business? Maybe try direct marketing with letters/flyers to the customers that need your trucks? Probably 95% of the people from craigslist or the phone book dont need your trucks. Try steering your efforts directly to the end user. Good luck

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
advertising

I have been using the local craigslist but there is a big problem with getting your posts flaged. I guess there are a lot of bored people with nothing better to do. The phone book is to high priced with the current slow down in the trucking industry. I was wanting to find a different way to advertise, and cost effective. If not free,wishfull thinking i know. OSI

I agree about the bored people on Craigslist. We found out my wife was allergic to dogs, we just got a beautiful Papillion puppy, get loving dog. I posted it on CList, to give it away and someone flagged it three different times. No one flags, goats, horses, mules, etc. I have no idea why they would do this, I was looking for a good home for the dog (I did find it a home)

Now back to your question, I have spent thousand of dollars on advertising and I dont think any of it really worked, better than personal contact. When everything was booming, the yellow pages seem to work better than anything and its probrably the best way now. People shops the yellow pages, to find the best price. My suggestion is go directly to the big and small contractors and offer your services. Any paving companies in your area? They are good contacts in the warm months. Check any major building in your area, like Walmart, Food Lion, shopping malls, etc they always need dirt hauling and if you can get on thier list, they will use you when they are in the area. Not sure how long you have been in business, but it takes time to get your good name out there.
Always keep your truck clean and nice looking, make sure you have your name and phone number on the truck, it does make a difference in getting work. When you pull up on a job site with a nice looking truck, most people thinks, boy thats a nice truck. Any idea what they are thinking, when you pull up to a job with a beat up looking truck (well you know and its not positive advertising) Before anyone gets mad, I know the old beat up truck, most of time do the same work, but its human nature, for people to remember the nice looking truck when they need more trucks to work.
OK Im finished, remember personal contacts, try to get in with some local trucking outfits and maybe they can use you.
Keep us posted

heavylift

letter / flyer / business card to area contractors... as mentioned above this would probably generate more business....

Snows a falling... lots of places haul snow away.... contact cities for snow hauls

the Phone number.... big enough so I can see it.. so I don't have to wait til we stop at a light to see it :)

Craigslist... could even be another trucking company flagging the ads...

Kijiji don't know how well it works....

We have a shoppers weekly paper. it's mostly garage sales.

WEB PAGE.... people like the internet these days... even a small simple one...

ALSO a clean truck will keep the DOT away also.... usually.... dirt = poor maintenance = money in the pocket of DOT

kthompson

Depending on who are potential customers really affects what works best. If narrow list then personal visits would really be good. If you do ask them if OK to stay in touch. Then do so by phone.
Yep a lot of people use the INTERNET. It does not have to cost a lot but there is cost. Working on site for my business now. (not trucking)
Something I heard of years back that does get people's attention is to send them a letter with a "dollar" bill in it. I might suggest a dollar coin so they can fell it. But with something along the line of "we give you more for your dollar" or "you will be surprised what you get for your dollar with us."
Most people do not like them but try to have phone number that spells something such they would relate to your business. Or phone number easy to remember (yes they do issue this) 0000, or 1234 or such.
Not a contractor but in insurance business and it would never cross my mind to look for a "professional" contractor in such as Craig's List or Weekly shopper type paper.
Have decent looking cards with color on them. Color cards are better than white ones but cost more. Don't hand a handful to anyone as they will normally trash a handful but will keep say 2 or 3. Post cards cost 28 cents to mail and often work better than letter as people don't have to open them.

A little different thought, depending on your equipment and what you can haul you may find a demand with such as farmer supply places when people buy items they can not haul.

Hendrik

The thing with advertising is that you gotta let people who need your services know that you are there.
I recently had some pens and bumper stickers made up, to give to customers. This is working on the theory that if they look at your trading name long enough it is burned into their brain and they will automatically remember you when they need a job done.
If they use the pen for a while they are looking at my business name, if they stick the sticker onto their work truck or beer fridge they will every know and then see my name and logo.
I am also in the process of getting some large door magnets made up for the car and ute, so when we are out and about in them we are advertising the business and in particular local customers will see the name and logo.
However our situation may be slightly different in that we do private work as well, which you may not do.
As others have suggested, direct marketing may be the go for you in that you make up an information pack to send to prospective customers.

hooklifttrucks

No kidding! We dropped all of our phone book advertising after tracking EVERY call coming in for about 2 years. By the end of that time, we were getting well over 50% of calls from the internet. Yellowpages.com has been my preference. Finding a good rep who knows how to help you makes a big difference. Best of luck!

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
advertising

If you do what I did at first, I went crazy on the big ads, in different sections, I think I was spending $1500+ a year didnt really see a big difference in work. In the last few years I just run my name and number, under hauling/dirt/trucking.
I did the name on pen thingee, fancy fliers, and all the other crazy stuff.
Nothing worked FOR ME, better than the things I have stated.
The best advise I can give is to make sure you have your ducks in a row (you know what you are selling) when you go to meet a potential customer. I know you are just trying to sell your trucking, but is there anything else you can do for the customer. Find out what the going rate for trucking is in your area, they will ask you your price. Do you have General Liability and workers comp Ins.? If you dont, your answer is "Im working on that now" Most contractors require this Ins.
Again, I would try to get in, with other truckers and work with them until you can build up your customers

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
Not sure what kind of customers you are looking for. But if you are looking for homeowners, etc. here is something that has worked for a few people I know.

Find someone with a large field, etc. next to a busy highway, road, preferrably in a corner next to a intersection that will rent you a spot. Put some small piles of gravel, topsoil, bark, etc. And then make a big sign stating you will deliver these products. You will not deliver from this spot, it is only to show the products and sign. Also find some other spots where you could put up a sign. The more they see your sign and number, the more likely you will get calls.

kthompson

Before you spend much money in renting lots or putting up signs check and see what is allowed or what such cost for license or permits. In my county signs are very very regulated.

So you have boxed truck with the same info on the side of it and park it there. If you are hauling to houses you may wish to hand out flyers to neighbors when you deliver such as mulch and use: will be delivering mulch for a (if the neighbor will allow the use of their name big help) neighbor and we can do so for lower cost for you while here if you desire any. Now how much lower is up to you.

I do run yellow page ad in my business but you can not pay for all the ad you would like to have. Big displays have to be really big or for me go with in line listing.

BTW, I do agree with clean and good looking equipment is a plus. Glad mine is for my use. :)