• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Adding Rippers to a Cat D6H diff steer

JAJ

Occupation
Owner operator of small fleet
That’s a fair point about the twin cylinders. It might be a bit small?
I think they were 1/2” I was going to go back later with a ORF fitting from cat that is the same as on the tilt cylinder hoses, so that we can try and work out what fittings and hoses I need. I want to try and set it up so that the tilt hoses stay as is and go to the new valve, then the new aftermarket add on hoses can sort out the in between. So what is standard stays standard for easy hose ordering and replacement.
Ah Queenslander said his has 1/2” hoses so might be ok.

Queenslander

At first glance the hoses do look a bit on the light side.
But, as I said, the rippers perform fine…wouldn’t want them any faster.

IMG_4356.jpeg

Reactions: JAJ

.RC.

That’s a fair point about the twin cylinders. It might be a bit small?
I think they were 1/2” I was going to go back later with a ORF fitting from cat that is the same as on the tilt cylinder hoses, so that we can try and work out what fittings and hoses I need. I want to try and set it up so that the tilt hoses stay as is and go to the new valve, then the new aftermarket add on hoses can sort out the in between. So what is standard stays standard for easy hose ordering and replacement.
Ah Queenslander said his has 1/2” hoses so might be ok.

Well these new fangled machines run higher pressures so can run smaller diameter cylinders and less oil flowand have the same travel speed and same breakout force as bigger rams with lower pressures, but bigger flows that the old reliable machines have. :)

.RC.

A bit of an afterthought. Have you considered adding a set of rear remotes while you are at it in case you pull some implement down the track? Nor knowing what your application is going to be, but if agricultural, you can do some different stuff.

JAJ

Occupation
A bit of an afterthought. Have you considered adding a set of rear remotes while you are at it in case you pull some implement down the track? Nor knowing what your application is going to be, but if agricultural, you can do some different stuff.
I hadn’t thought about extra remotes. I don’t have a use for them right now but there is a few things I wouldn’t mind trying in the future that they would be handy for. I had already got all the bits when I saw this so I will just go with what I have for now. I don’t think it would be too hard to add extra later.
Thanks for the idea though!!

JAJ

Occupation
So I think I have everything I need

-Thread tap set for cleaning and restoring threads.
-New studs and nuts
-Hydraulic change over valve(24v was double price of 12v)
-All the hydraulic fittings and combinations I could possibly need just in case. All in field reusable so I can make exactly what I need.
-20m of hydraulic hose so I can re hose the ripper assembly as well. Should have a heap of this left over for future projects
-A fancy rocker switch that lights up for the dash.

Just need to start setting it all up.
I have a few challenges with the New 140m grader that will have to take priority unfortunately so I’ll report back on this when I start it. Might help others out in the future if I document it.