• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Adding a Rayco Wylie R147 Anti-two-Block

ichudov

So, I took off the Rayco Wylie R147 A2B from that Link-Belt crane that I bought for scrap.

We are installing it on my Grove RT crane right now. It will be installed in a alarm mode, meaning that it will not affect any hydraulic function, but will only sound an Ecco alarm.

OK, the question I have is on the alarm output of R147. It says that it is "Normally Closed". This seems to be very useful for hydraulic function when the A2B "enables" hydraulic functions, but for the alarm it should be the opposite, right? So, no problem, I will add a relay with the coil hooked up to the A2B, and the normally closed output of the relay used for sounding the alarm. NC x NC = NO.

So far so good. Now, the only concern I have is, when the crane is just started, the alarm will sound all the time until A2B boots up and establishes communications. Is that right? If so it will be kind of annoying.

crane operator

Put a toggle switch/ override on the a2b, or just the alarm. Its a pain driving around with the block tied to the front with the a2b going off for 2 miles to a jobsite.

I don't think I'd go with a full ecco backup alarm either, I'd prefer quieter.

ichudov

I am thinking, I will just add a timer relay, whereby it would only sound the alarm for not more than, say, 5 seconds. The relay would reset if alarm goes away.

hosspuller

You might consider an alarm acknowledge button. A momentary switch that latches until the alarm stops, then resets automatically. Then if the alarm conditions are real, the cutoff/override switch or timer doesn't prevent the alarm.

crane operator

They make a backup alarm combined with a light bulb that you can put in the rear tailight of a pickup. I installed them in some company trucks for a outfit I worked for. If you had a standard socket, you could have a combination light and audible alarm in one. If I remember right it wasn't as obnoxiously loud like a ecco.