• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Added a Pettibone Super 6 to collection

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
At the advice of a retired Pettibone employee, a couple weeks ago I had sent Pettibone Corporate a request for information on my serial number of my lift. I received a email from Pettibone a few days ago with a drop box address where they had dropped a complete new electronic operators manual, maintenance/service manual and parts book. Its so cool to get service like that in todays corporate world.

Tuckersnocat

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I joined because I found this thread. I have a Super 6 Cary-Lift that I'm just starting to resuscitate. I bought it 10 or 15 years ago and used it for a while but it has been idle for about 5 years now and it will take a little work to get it going again. I do have the operator's manual though (one of the most complete that I have ever seen, 162 pages) and if Pettibone doesn't come through with the information that you requested I can try to find that part and forward it to you or take it to someone and have them copy the whole thing - it is a wealth of information.. Mine does have the flathead 6 gas engine and the same 2 pedal transmission that you describe - this particular transmission is not described in the manual.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Hi Tuckersnocat and welcome to the forum. Thanks for the offer but Petibone did send me the manuals via a drop box. Your Cary-Lift should be the same basic machine without the forklift attachment. I am guessing you might find your transmission details under the hydraulic section. I have not looked thru my whole manuals set yet. Other than a losing prime issue that I have to fix the machine works fine. Have to many other projects going right now to get to the McGivered line on the injection fuel feed. It starts if I let the electric fuel pump run for two minutes first.

Tuckersnocat

Actually I guess i don't have a Cary-Lift either because i do have the forklift attachment. The manual that I have is for the Cary-Lift though, I think I'll contact Pettibone too and see if they can tell me more about this machine.FullSizeRender-2.jpg

rayman

I worked on and operated one of those "Pettibone Carylift" machines in a lumber yard/sawmill. It was a big machine for its day and equipped with log grapples. I unloaded trucks and stacked the logs in the yard. This machine had a 3-71 Detroit. The easiest way to climb in or out was with the loader frame right forward.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
I worked on and operated one of those "Pettibone Carylift" machines in a lumber yard/sawmill. It was a big machine for its day and equipped with log grapples. I unloaded trucks and stacked the logs in the yard. This machine had a 3-71 Detroit. The easiest way to climb in or out was with the loader frame right forward.

Yes, It sure is easier to crawl on and off with the boom forward. I normally park it that way unless I am parking it in the machine shed. Then I pull it all the way back and rest the cross tube on the carry cradle to take less space. Pettibone made a Super 10 also that mostly came equipped with a log grapple. They were a very popular mill machine around here in the saw mills. There are still a few around. They make the Super 6 look small.

brycenb

Did you ever receive the manuals from pettibone? I have the exact same model pettibone you have and would like to have some manuals on it as well. thank you

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Did you ever receive the manuals from pettibone? I have the exact same model pettibone you have and would like to have some manuals on it as well. thank you

Yes. They sent me a link to a drop box account that they put them in within a few days. Email corporate Pettibone with your serial number and they will set you up. Every machine has its own made to order manuals. They told me they printed one book for each machine when new and kept one electronic record. They also sent me the build sheet for my machine and where it was first sold and other partially worthless but interesting information.

android53

Hi all. Looking at a 1968 Pettibone Super 6 for a project. Can anyone tell me what the hydraulic pump pressure and flow might be? Thanks in advance.

Delmer

The pressures are pretty mild by today's standards. The standard carry lift was 1,450PSI and the high lift (forklift mast) was 1,600 PSI from a '78 manual so I doubt the '68 had higher capacity. The pump has another section for the steering with a relief of 850 PSI or 1,000 PSI somewhere else in the book. I can't find the volume but I'd guess 20-30 GPM based on the size of the pump.

android53

Thanks Delmer. Just the info I was looking for. This Super 6 appears to be the high lift. Not sure the pressure is high enough for my project though. I'll have to check the equipment specs. Thanks again for the info.

android53

One more thing (for now). Do you know if it would be a open center or closed center hydraulic system on the Super 6? Thanks again.

Delmer

Open center gear pumps. What is the project you have in mind? I'd guess that those were conservative ratings on the pump and hydraulics because they built the same basic machine for so long, and probably never adjusted the size of the cylinders down to convert to higher pressure. If there was something specific you were doing, I might bump the relief up to 2,000, or maybe a little more? These were almost the definition of a brick outhouse, built to haul logs around the mill and stack pallets originally.

android53

As is I want to put a man basket on it to trim a lot of high limbs from trees around the hay field and pasture. Also my neighbor and I want to put up another pole barn each. But the "project" I was considering is that I have a large Davis backhoe attachment that I converted to 3 point to use with my big tractor. I have since traded for a newer/smaller tractor and I believe the backhoe will be a bit much for the newer tractor. With the Super 6 I was thinking about removing the forklift mast portion (when needed) and connecting up the backhoe to use. The backhoe is also open center but I believe it requires about 1950 psi to operate. Your idea of adjusting the relief valve would work. Crazy huh! I can be pretty creative with my "projects". Might go look at this Super 6 this weekend to see if I can talk myself in to/out of this one.

Delmer

These pettibones have a feature that the boom sits on a ledge on the front frame of the loader, so you can carry around a load of lumber and protect the hydraulics from the shock. You could put a clamp on that so the boom and backhoe would be effectively locked to the frame. Might not be needed? And it might be nice to be able to extend the backhoe 4' forward like the boom is designed to do.

superdaveweld

Neat old iron guys. I am working on a old pettibone lda multihoe right now. This is the only Pettibone equip I find on the forum. I am having trouble identifying the rear axel planetaries to replace leaking rear seals. looks like an old Timken axel housing, housing splits into two halves to get to ring and pinion. Which I had to get to about five years ago but, the planetaries look like Rockwell. I have found no name on them , found a few part numbers but haven't been able to use them to id the manufacture via the internet searches I have done. I would greatly appreciate any guidance and suggestions you could offer me