• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

access to hose fitting on case 580 se on valve body

One side of a frayed and split hydraulic hose goes to the hard metal line to the backhoe bucket and the other end goes to the valve in a devil of a tight place, right under the floor with the swing cylinders blocking access from the underside.

I know it's a long shot, but I'm looking for some clever trick to get that fitting loose without taking up the whole floor section and then removing two or more other hoses in the top row (the bucket hose is underneath that row).

Also, any do's or don'ts when dealing with the fittings, it doesn't leak much now at the fittings and I'd like to keep it that way.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Air hammer and a long punch to break it loose then if you can get your hands on it to spin it the rest of the way off. 4 way angle head wrenches or a shorty wrench and a ratchet strap to break it loose might work.

catskinner 10

Occupation
Retired Operator/Master Mechanic 55Yr Member IUOE
crow foot.png Case sold Flare nut crows foot sockets for those.
There different than standard crows foot, there Rounded and
12 Point.
They come in metric and SAE.

You could find a set at a tool store.
I recommend them if you plan on keeping the machine.
Otherwise your taking other hoses off to get to the one you want.
Sorry for the Modem Melter.
Tom

Last edited:
Yes, I've been looking at sets of crows foot wrenches, and an extension with a ratchet/ breaker bar might work but local stores don't keep the jumbo ones in stock, as for the punch, no way to get to it, and even if I could break the old one free, I'd still have to have better access to tighten the new one.

At this point, if I want to try and "get er done" I think I'll continue with moving the cover of the joy stick assembly, and see if maybe the small hole there is enough to get in to start removing hoses in the way.

I actually wrote that message last night, but forgot to post it, thanks Tom for verifying the idea that they will work in this situation, and I do plan to get a set one way or another, also, I may just wait and do something else while I get the right tool for the job, no sense disturbing good hose connections if I don't have to. I'll make some more calls.

by the way, in these sizes will metric and sae work equally? I think my machine is sae, although reading manuals I got the impression it was metric.

also, I notice the wrench you show is smaller than an inch and the ones I've seen in the larger than an inch (these take a 1&1/8 and a 1&1/4 wrench size) and those jumbo sizes (which I've only seen straight sides), don't have the rounded multi positions yours shows. do your larger sizes have the same profile?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
View attachment 186882 Case sold Flare nut crows foot sockets for those.
There different than standard crows foot, there Rounded and
12 Point.
They come in metric and SAE.

You could find a set at a tool store.
Tom

Never came across the "Grey" brand of tools, any chance to a link for them? I have some Snap-On crows foots but they are only 6 point sockets in the smaller sizes and the larger ones that are 12 point are not as heavy as that Grey brand one in the picture.

I did a search for "Grey" and only find "Grey Pneumatic" and as the name sounds only list impact type socket tools.

catskinner 10

Occupation
Never came across the "Grey" brand of tools, any chance to a link for them? I have some Snap-On crows foots but they are only 6 point sockets in the smaller sizes and the larger ones that are 12 point are not as heavy as that Grey brand one in the picture.

I did a search for "Grey" and only find "Grey Pneumatic" and as the name sounds only list impact type socket tools.

Yes,
Try This Link
https://shopgraytools.com/collections/crowfoot-wrench

Tom

I took another look at it this morning, and moved the metal stand for the joysticks and there is a small access hole in the floor, but I would have to take off the upper row of hoses and my regular combination wrench won't even fit over the flare nut unless I start on the end and work in.

calling around the best I could do was a metric set (straight, not multi point and rounded) down in Lynchburg, everything else is by mail order. Richmond may have a store that sells them, but I haven't found it yet.

Lynchburg might be another spot, but so far nothing on premises.

I may end up ordering a couple sockets from gray, thanks for the link--

That gray link got complicated, sale price of 26 went to 60$ and when I called they said they sell to canada but only to US through amazon....more bad news
finally found the right search and bought a 12 pt 1-1/4 on ebay--22.50, I'll have to wait a week, but the profile is slender and it looks like a good tool. I couldn't find a 1-1/8, but I may be able to manipulate an open end onto one side of the fitting as a stationary and use the 1&1/4 crowfoot to break it free and turn it off

catskinner 10

Occupation
You won't regret it.
It's the only way to do it as long as you get a quality tool.

If the inner fitting breaks loose on the valve body it's not the
End of the world.
Take the other hose end off first, and pull out to lay straight, and let drain.
Then if the fitting comes loose just turn the whole hose assembly to remove it.
Separate the fitting and reinstall in the valve body with a deep socket.
Also you have to watch that "some" aftermarket hose makers use a larger
Crimp collar and the crows foot won't fit over it.
That's why Case used 5/8 hose.
Tom

catskinner 10

Occupation
The 580 Ck was built from 1966 to 1971
Ser#'s
1966: 8279001
1967: 8307001
1968: 8332501
1969: 8356507
1970: 8650001
1971: 8674001
The 530 CK was built from 1960 to 1967
Ser#'s
1960: 8160001
1961: 8168801
1962: 8190001
1963: 8208001
1964: 8229001
1965: 8253501
1966: 8279001
1967: 4107201-4124100

Looks like 67 only was even close to your numbers.
I would have to research a little more to get more info.
Case changed the forklift models staring with the 580 series.
The forklift version of the 580 CK was 586,b,c,d,e
My guess yours is actually a 530 and was miss labeled sometime after a repaint?
But could be a early 580 forklift reflected by the different serial number.
Tom

Last edited:

mikebramel

I wouldn't recommend the snap on 12pt nut crowsfeet. Mine usually spread and slip on anything that needs good force