• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Access Panel Security

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
Not intending to raise anyone's blood pressure, but this time they got me for two batteries: one outta the air compressor and one outta the platform lift. Prior experiences indicate that any exposed shackle lock that a bolt cutter fits will be so sheared.
And some machines have no proviso for a lock, just bolted panels.

To try and keep the battery in me reachforklift, I got a so called 'security bolt' from McMasterCarr and the companion unique adapter that fits said bolt. I utilize a ratcheting box wrench to operate the adapter (tacked a washer to help not slip thru the wrench) and keep the wrench & said adapter with the key rack in my work truck.
Security Bolt.jpg Bolting Access Cover.jpg

Throwing this out there - any hope for such a method?

crane operator

I'd say move out of california, but we have the same type of problems here.

If you make it harder to steal, they just tear more stuff up to get at it. I've got lights, cameras, security system. And actually the security system has saved me from one break in. They got through the door and left when the beeper went off.

I've been looking at the gps install for my vehicles, because I've had two stolen and recovered. It would make the recovery a lot easier with a locater.