• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

AC/Heat Blower testing/replacement on New Holland L190

Grit

Hi guys. Been awhile since I posted. Machine has been running good so far with no problems. Thought I saw a two digit code one day but had my head in my rear and didn't take note of the number. I didn't know if it was a code or what....

Anyway, when I bought the machine the blower to the AC/heat wasn't working. I finally got around to checking the fuse today and it looks to be good. No broken contact and it didn't look burnt. So I guess the next step is to check the blower? Can I do this with a multimeter, and if so, how do I go about doing that? I assume the blower is on top the machine in the rear? Thanks for any and all help. :)

tmc_31

Occupation
Sports Lighting Contractor
Morning Garrett,

Yes, the fan is housed in the compartment at the top rear of the cab. If you will take the top cover off it will expose the fan. first check to see that it is not stuck. You can check it with a multimeter but it might be easier if you checked to see that you have proper voltage (12VDC) at the fan (with the multimeter). If you do, remove the fan and attach it to a known 12V source and see if it will turn. If it won't, replace the motor.

If you don't have voltage to the fan, check the fan switch.

While you have the top cover off of the fan compartment, inspect the air conditioner evaporator coil (cooling coil) for cleanliness. When I looked at mine, it was completely stopped up with dirt. I cleaned mine out with evaporator cleaner (from the local air conditioning wholesaler) and it cools much better now. For me, evaporator cleaning will be part of an annual inspection.

Tim

Grit

Thanks, Tim. Been busy today and have somewhere to go tomorrow, but I will check things out the following day and let you know my progress. Thanks for the help!

Grit

Tim, I'm just now getting back to working on my machine. Before I tore into the compartment up top, I thought I would mention something on the switch/button itself. When I go to switch it on, the light on the switch doesn't light up. It looks to be a little green light, but it doesn't come on. Could this mean the switch is bad or should I just continue checking the fan and power to the fan first?

This isn't the fan knob, but the little toggle below it. Is it an AC switch or something? Ok, I just read my manual. It is the AC switch. So the AC switch doesn't light and the fan doesn't blow. Makes me think it could be the switch AND the fan, both. Or at least the AC switch not working. I'm not good at this stuff without service manuals.

I double checked the fuse and it's good.

tmc_31

Occupation
Hey Grit,

That switch controls the AC compressor. The fan will run with that switch in either position. When I bought my L190 the AC wouldn't cool. The light in that switch wouldn't come on either. My dealer changed the switch and it fixed the the problem. Now the light in the switch is burned out again but the compressor (and AC) still works. Go figure. The fan switch ( the rotary switch ) is likely where the problem is. If you have 12V to and from the fan switch, check the wiring harness to the fan and check the fan motor windings for continuity and to see that they are not grounded. Also rotate the fan motor shaft by hand to be sure that it is not seized.

Hope this helps,

Good luck

Tim

Grit

Thanks, Tim. You are always a big help and the only one I think that has a machine like mine so I depend on you a lot and I do appreciate you taking the time to help me.

As usual, more stuff to do and pastures to mow (sigh), but will let you know what I find out.

Thanks again for all the help!

Last edited:

Grit

Well, I was feeling a little intimidated by it all and just didn't know where to start with the switches. It looked like I had to remove the metal frame around the door in order to get the plastic base off to get to the switches. You could remove the upper unit easily enough, but the fan switch requires the removal of the plastic base to access it. Instead of doing something I shouldn't, I decided just to order a service manual from NH. It's $321.63 for the paperback manual and 18 bucks more if you want it on CD. That's a lot of money, but I'm hoping it will cover things like what I'm trying to repair. Do you think it a waste of money, or do you think it would help me? Haven't ordered, yet, and wanted to get a little feedback to see if I would be wasting money or whether it would be worth the purchase.

I guess what I'm wondering is, will the manual tell me how to remove parts and test them? And would the manual cover all the parts in the machine or just major parts? Might be important to know. Anyone have any experience with NH service manuals and know what details they get into?

Thanks for the help and I'll provide a link to the manual. This may not be a direct link but hopefully.

http://www.dmcretail.com/newhollandconstruction/Default.aspx

Delmer

That $300 won't help you one bit if you can't tell us if the motor is getting voltage or not. Start at the motor if you can get to it. If the switch is easier to get to then see what you get for voltage there and report back. The variable knob is the one most likely to burn out.

Grit

Thanks, Delmer. Then you're saying if I have a problem with a switch, (in this case either the AC compressor switch or the fan switch) the book will not cover the procedure and or a diagnostics or troubleshooting guide? If that's the case, then maybe you are right and I am wasting my time purchasing the manual. I always thought that's what repair manuals were supposed to do; That is, to help you troubleshoot a problem. It also helps to know what these parts are called and the location of said parts, which I assume, the manual would cover as well. But maybe I am wrong and expecting too much?

I'm not new to fixing equipment, but I probably don't have the vast knowledge a lot of you do, here. I AM new to this particular machine and I haven't the slightest about this broblem in particular. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not real knowledgeable in troubleshooting electrical problems and lack in that area. Even a schematic would help me, which surely the manual would provide.

Delmer

I don't have any idea how good a New Holland manual is. I know if I was having problems with something like the safety interlocks, and this site wasn't any help, I'd get the manual. But most manuals assume a basic level of troubleshooting sense, and don't always give you the detail like check voltage from terminal x to terminal y then check z, or the details on just how you remove interior pieces, or even the best way to get major components off sometimes.

Assuming there's no computer control of the AC or blower, this is an easy enough problem to solve. Go back to Tim's post #3 and see what you find, then consider how to get at the switches.

Grit

Thanks, Delmer. I probably sound like I can't do much of anything with the way I'm going on about everything, lol. Sometimes I put a little mental block in my head and convince myself I can't do something without the proper instruction when I know that is furthest from the truth. I rarely have any vehicle in for repairs be it my trucks, cars, mowers or whatever. But at the same time, I usually have access to SOME tools to help me figure it out, be it a reader or manual or the internet. With this machine, I have nothing. So, yeah, it's a little intimidating to me to say the least. Either way, I'll get it fixed. I may learn the hard way, but I will get it fixed. I will not take it in to get it repaired and will do just about anything to keep from having to doing that.

Good idea to go back to Tim's post and start from there. Thanks for the help!

tmc_31

Occupation
Hey Grit,

I got a complete service manual for my '07 from my dealer when I bought my skid. I think that manual from New Holland is over $700. It was part of the deal for my skid. I intended from the start to do all of the repairs that I could to my skid. I also knew that I would be able to talk more intelligently to the service techs about any problem I may have with the manual in front of me. The service manual is very complete, covering all systems of my machine.

They changed (updated) the L190 in early '07. Although our machines probably share many similarities, there are also significant differences. For instance, I believe yours has a 190 hp turbocharged engine while mine has a 180 hp normally aspirated engine. Also the control panel is different and the controls are in different locations.

My thinking is if you plan to keep the skid for an extended period of time (as I intend to), the service manual is probably a good investment. Even is it is not a great help to you on this problem, you can bet it will be useful down the road.

If I remember right, your AC controls are located in the left hand door post. Mine are located in the headliner on the left side of the skid. They were very easily accessible by simply removing the headliner.

Tim

Grit

Thanks, Tim! They're only showing one manual that I can purchase. Well, actually two, but the other is for the engines. The publication # on the book is 87630288 NA. It says it replaces manual #87578815 NA. It is issued 12-2006 and revised 05-2007. Front cover reads: Mechanical and Pilot Control (Cab Upgrade Machines) Repair Manual. And then covers all the models, including ours.

Is this manual for both our machines? Or is it for machines built before 2008 model? It's a little confusing.

Appreciate the help, as usual!