• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

AC compressor locking up

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Reminds me of an old boss from years ago. He was described by his subordinates thusly - “I have my opinion. Don’t confuse me with the facts.”
One of the farmers around here has the tailgate on his pickup painted with the banner, "Confuse a Liberal, use the Facts against them".

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
I finally got to troubleshoot the ac ... i was so scared of a vane pump issue from last battle with a svl 90 loader.. so its out of gas ..I pressure test with 220psi of nitrogen then soak with soap and find nothing leaking ... I start it and run AC it squeaks a little but doesn't lock up nitrogen is thinner than 134a gas ... gauges read high side at 300+ off the scale and 20 psi low side ... it appears blocked ... I shut it off and it does not equalize very quick ... my guess is its the metering device locked up and I lost the gas through a relief valve ... well now I got to tip the cab up to get to it ... the pump is likely fine the load was over the top and I would squeak too ... anybody done the tip the cab thing on a 60g ... its not like the 50g I had but similar

ahart

You ran it with a nitrogen charge in it? Never heard of doing that. What exactly was the purpose of that experiment?

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
what I was fishing for is information on vane pumps ... if it was what John deere used on there 60g or any other equipment for that matter its not clear what the product is .. only someone who has taken one apart would know ... I guess I didn't say "vane pump" enough nor do many people have experienced the poor engineering of the "vane pump" ... so lack of understanding leave some to shoot the messenger its sad that people resort to that. Tipping the cab is next ... I can find nothing on it.. as the coil is on the belly of the cab .. my guess is you have to lift it with an overhead device. .. in my case a tree ... or simply a cable to the boom...

ahart

To everyone’s defense here except yours, you insisted more than once that we were wrong and you knew for 100% certainty it was a vane type compressor. No messengers were harmed in the making of this film sir.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
To everyone’s defense here except yours, you insisted more than once that we were wrong and you knew for 100% certainty it was a vane type compressor. No messengers were harmed in the making of this film sir.
Now back to our regularly scheduled programming
Maybe MG2361 could tap in on the safest method to tip the cab. On most models I have dealt with, you unfasten bolts in back of the cab and there should be an over-center spring to assist and a safety once yer up. Your results may differ.

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
You ran it with a nitrogen charge in it? Never heard of doing that. What exactly was the purpose of that experiment?
nitrogen is standard HVAC tool ... for leak detection .. it is harmless to the system as air would add water ... all new coils come with a nitrogen purge .. I use a high pressure gauge and am able to achieve 500# if I want .. thats kind of high and scary ... 250# should be enough to expose slow leaks ... slow leaks may not show themselves at 125# ... most components are tested at #200 or so

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
My guess, as vetech stated. Looks like a dryer crapped the bed. You've probably got desiccant powder plugging your orifice tube or expansion valve whichever you may have. Further enforcing the need for a flush. There are several kits on the market. Basically you disassemble the system and flush components individually, forward and back. You'll be surprised at the trash that purges.

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
well sorry ... I don't think anyone actually knows what kind of pump it is including me ... I was hoping someone would ... I stopped there on that answer ... because I found something that also causes lock ups ... I still would like to know ... any body ?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Nitrogen is smaller than 134 ? Did not know that, but it makes sense. Not that any of us would see leaks on the molecular level. Hell, most of us can't see without a magnifying glass.

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
My guess, as vetech stated. Looks like a dryer crapped the bed. You've probably got desiccant powder plugging your orifice tube or expansion valve whichever you may have. Further enforcing the need for a flush. There are several kits on the market. Basically you disassemble the system and flush components individually, forward and back. You'll be surprised at the trash that purges.
I can verify that ... by undoing the output of that .. might as well ... I can aways get more nitrogen , its getting low...

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Please don't misunderstand, by flush, I mean filling a flush bottle with an A/C compatible solvent, you can use nitrogen to jet the solvent through, we all use air, followed by a deep vacuum to purge moisture. Just wanted to clarify, "not just purging with N.

ahart

I was questioning running the system with a nitrogen charge in it instead of refrigerant. I’m quite familiar with the use of nitrogen over compressed air as a method of finding a leak.

ahart

If you properly list a model, and serial number of machine I’m more than 100% confident there’s someone here who can tell you exactly what compressor it has on it.

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
ok inquiring minds want to know ... mine too... verified not a clogged dry issue ... simply pulled out put side and it released 250# of pressure in 10-20 seconds ... hooked back up ... sending it to the metering device evaporator ... run it up to 250# on high side... low side is on 30 climbing very slow it looks like an hr or 2 to equalize ... 10-20 seconds is normal from my experiences.. so it back to tipping the cab... front panel removed ... identified bolts behind the seat ... and ???

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
so put just 150# of nitrogen (gas would work to) ... ran compressor it turns but squeaks , I believe the main bearing is the squeak it also heats up that end of compressor thats probably needs replaced unless oil is dry maybe ... I will remove it to know ... still the flow is weak through metering device nitrogen would flow easier than gas I believe ... I believe it is sticking when it wants maybe oil issue again .. the symptoms seem to change ... its not locking up totally like it was ... I believe its down to component testing on bench.