• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

AC compressor locking up

Vetech63

That black stuff you are saying is dirt looks like the desiccant from a past receiver. The system is full of it and that crap is impossible to remove 100%. It will continue to break loose and contaminate every new part you install. Your system need a complete break down and cleaning with some parts as replace only.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
That black stuff you are saying is dirt looks like the desiccant from a past receiver. The system is full of it and that crap is impossible to remove 100%. It will continue to break loose and contaminate every new part you install. Your system need a complete break down and cleaning with some parts as replace only.
Exactly, I concur. This is also a Sanden type seven cylinder axial piston compressor application. Without a serial number I can't drill down to leading particulars any further.

Vetech63

The compressor should be available aftermarket. Any Sanden distributor can get it. The evaporator and condenser is iffy.......depends on whether it is OEM proprietary. The receiver may also be available aftermarket. You can try and remove the hoses and clean them, but I would replace them if this was a job I had to warranty.

If you keep throwing parts on this without doing the job properly, you're going to have more money in it than what the cost of doing it right was from the beginning. Short cutting on these systems is extremely expensive and futile.

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
I wish it was that simple ... but its more than the compressor type issue ... change one twice only to fail after 3-5 hrs of run time and lock up ... something else is going on

1693TA

Occupation
I wish it was that simple ... but its more than the compressor type issue ... change one twice only to fail after 3-5 hrs of run time and lock up ... something else is going on
You could have hoses or linesets deteriorating internally also. Acids in the system from a compressor burnout, (though mostly electrical), (or mechanical if low oil charge) can have negative impact to rubber parts. Regardless, the system needs parts removed and flushed very thoroughly before shotgun more parts installs. You are banging your head getting nowhere as the root cause has not been addressed yet. It is a sealed system meaning things don't get in from the outside so something is wrong on the inside. Pull the condenser, the evaporator, and the expansion device so you have open components and thoroughly flush these components into a clean bucket both ways so you can see and ensure they are clean. If not clean, or able to be cleaned then replacement is the next option. These systems although very tightly, and compactly installed are very simple in basic operation. The electronics to control it can be bypassed temporarily to ensure it works/performs as should.

1693TA

Occupation
I never doubt the value of refresh, or retraining with even the most experienced. Seen far too many flustered individuals wrapped up with the seemingly simple problem they just cannot surmount a fresh set of eyes sees readily. Pride is usually the culprit here when asking for assistance may be beneficial.

There is no detriment in education I can think of. Many times we get overconfident to the point of being arrogant, or belligerent in demeanor when challenged. We all f**k up; matter of life's experiences and as long as one learns from it, it's all good. No reason to discount, berate, or ridicule someone with a problem if their rendition differs from expectations as we don't all communicate alike.

This gent has a problem and has been following the incorrect path for isolation I feel. We should stay the course and help as he has asked for help in his own way. Some suggestions have been put forth hopefully to be acted upon.

A valuable lesson will have been learned once the problem is rectified.

ahart

Several have suggested the correct way to go forward and we keep being told it’s not that simple. I say throw the recycled radiator fan in the back window and get on down the road, then all we will have to discuss is the proper fuse and relay to use in the circuit to turn it on.

Vetech63

This gent has a problem and has been following the incorrect path for isolation I feel. We should stay the course and help as he has asked for help in his own way. Some suggestions have been put forth hopefully to be acted upon.
Well said but.......you can lead a horse to water but.........

1693TA

Occupation
All we can do is hope for the best as none of us are at the problem site.

Vetech63

When you say vane pump.........are you talking about a vac pump? Those are vane type and can run in a bit of dirt although it isn't good for them.