• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

About equipment leasing

davidj320

I need to know something regarding equipment leasing. For our construction company, we need some heavy equipment for various purposes. Ours is a startup company. So we were thinking of arranging some loans to buy this. A few days back I found one article related to commercial truck leasing here http://www.truckloancenter.com/truck-leasing/. In that blog, they have described how we can make tax benefits. I have heard mortgages help businesses to make tax benefits. How about leasing an equipment? Which option would give more benefits? Can somebody explain how this actually works?

funditright75

Hey David,

Doesn't look like anyone answered your question. My name is Chuck, I am the managing partner of CNS Capital. Now that the intros are out of the way let's answer your question. Equipment leasing can be used as a tax write off and is a good way of doing so, there are two ways you can create tax deductions. Leasing usually allows you to write off 100% of the payments as a business expense or rental expense because a lease contract is written. Depending on the type of lease you choose you can also take advantage of Section 179.

The PATH Act of 2015 authorized the permanent status of Section 179, this allows deductions to be taken on business essential equipment in the first year of use. You can write off up to $500k in equipment that you purchase for your business, in addition if you don't anticipate needing the full deduction you can split it up and keep half for the following year.

So basically the way it would work is this:

$100,000 equipment lease
35% tax bracket
Yields a $35,000.00 tax deduction
Total equipment cost after tax benefit = $65,000.00

*Always consult your CPA or tax professional to verify. CNS is in no way responsible for your use of this information.