• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A Sergeant scout backhoe, where did I get this picture from

rayman

Does anyone recognise this machine, did I get this pic from this forum?? I am interested in these old backhoes.

Attachments

• Seargeant Scout backhoe.jpg
    Seargeant Scout backhoe.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 27

Welder Dave

Interesting machine. Looks like the bucket is for digging bigger rocks with the large holes in it.

rayman

Welder Dave, back in the 1950's a friend of mine in New Zealand owned one of these but rigged as a crane. They started life as a "Center-drive Speeder" by "Speeder Machinery Co". but when they joined up with "Link-Belt" that design was sold off to Sergeant. Power was an IH TD9 engine, petrol start but the center drive sprocket was the weak point. If you tightened up the track chains to stop it jumping the sprocket, the tracks would bind and stall the engine so my mate had an old D4 on hand to drag it around the yard otherwise it was quite a good little machine, conventional controls and would have been good mounted on a truck chassis. That bucket is a bit more than "perforated" and as you said, probably made for reclaiming bigger river stone for a crusher.