• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A question about a dozer pulling a scraper pan in sand.

Bumpus

Occupation
Disability / Retired
I have a question about dozer / scraper pans and sand.

Could a old D4 or D6 dozer ( direct drive or powershift )
pull and load a scraper pan in Florida / in just sand /
or clay sand mix by itself ?

dirtdobber1

Bumpus, I don't know what type of pan you are pulling, but I will share with you my experience. I have spent a lot of time operating trains (2 wagons coupled together) of reynolds dirt wagons leveling land for rice farming, 12 and 14 yard wagons as I recall. We pulled them with rubber tire agricultural tractors in the range of 200 to 250 horesepower. Engine power was never a problem, traction was. I would think a dozer would do fine, but perhaps slower.

One issue you may have is loading the sand. From time to time we would hit sandy spots and the sand just wouldn't load. Because sand is lose, it would tend to only partially load (about 1/4 of a load) and then just push up in front of the wagon. Heavier clay or loamy soils weren't a problem.

Good luck.