1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

A little clearing project

Discussion in 'Track Loaders' started by bigblueox, Aug 29, 2008.

1. bigblueox

bigblueox Senior Member

started a little clearing project a while back. we are trying to establish a food plot to attract some rabbits.

Attached Files:

2. bigblueox

bigblueox Senior Member

we knocked the trees down with the loader then limbed and bucked the logs. seperated the logs from stumps and windrowed slash to use as cover for the animals.

Attached Files:

3. bigblueox

bigblueox Senior Member

after some sorting we loaded the logs and took them to the saw mill. didn't get much money for the logs but it's better than letting them rot. mostly gum trees but some red oak as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  4. bigblueox

bigblueox Senior Member

some more of the saw mill.

Attached Files:

5. qball

qball Senior Member

local 150 operator
    what do you feed the rabbits to?

6. bigblueox

bigblueox Senior Member

it's inteded as food plot for hunting rabbits. hope fully we can keep a thick enough population to do some hunting. rabbit stew is good eating!

7. RocksnRoses

RocksnRoses Senior Member

Owner operater crushing & contracting business
    Nice pics, bigbluebox. How many hours has the Liebherr done and have you had any problems with it? The reason I ask is that we have a 541 wheel loader of similar age and we have had numerous problems with it. A Liebherr mechanic told me that the track loaders at the time were having some issues as well.
    I'm sure the rabbits will thank you:notworthy:notworthy well that is until :guns:guns:guns

Rn'R.

8. HeyUvaVT

HeyUvaVT Senior Member

how bout some info on the excavator...never seen one like that...who makes it and what size is it...also where in va are you? I am an hour east of richmond (lancaster county)

9. bigblueox

bigblueox Senior Member

it's an 85' era poclain 160. it weighs about 60,000lbs and has a 260hp turbocharged deutz engine. Its old and slow but it was cheap and gets the job done. The liebher has about 7k hours on it. i've heard the same thing about the loaders. ours has the mercedes diesel in it. it runs pretty good we've had a few leakes fixed and some miscelanous things like exhaust gasket and bushings in the 4-1. i think the return valve in the valve bank for the 4-1 isn't closing because the bucket opens up slightly, but when u hit the pedal it shuts only to open slightly over a little time. overall its a good loader. i'm not such a big fan of the pilot controls, i'd rater have a drive system like a 963. i'm about an hour north of richmond in fredericksburg.

10. HeyUvaVT

HeyUvaVT Senior Member

f-burg is a great place...seems to be growing by leaps and bounds especially near the route 17 - route 1 interchange right near I-95

11. tonka

tonka Senior Member

Equipment Operator
    um how many do ya want there all over the place at our apt at night...........just got to get my BB gun on a knock some out:rolleyes:

12. RocksnRoses

RocksnRoses Senior Member

Owner operater crushing & contracting business
    I would say you are doing all right then, bigblueox. I think the loaders here were having problems with the final drives. Our wheel loader is a really good loader when it is going, but we have had transmission problems, pump problems and diff problems. We bought it new and it now has 14,000 hours on it but there were a lot of hassles along the way.

Rn'R.

13. cat 385

cat 385 Senior Member

i've ran a poclain 160,about the same year i think, do the engine doors open like it has wings?we used to call ours the (flying none.):)

14. Deere9670

Deere9670 Senior Member

Farm equipment operator
    What are you going to plant for the rabbits? We plant chicory and clover up here for deer. Its pretty easy to grow, as long as you stay on top of the weed control. I would recomend doing a soil test to see what fert. you may need to put on. Keep posting pics!

15. redline

redline Well-Known Member

Plant operator and Tenkate plant hire
    if its anything like aus that scrubby soil should be pretty fertile, could be wrong but in aus that would grow lush feed for years without fert

16. bigblueox

bigblueox Senior Member

yep ours has wings also. nothing like the doors slamming on your head, it hurts trust me. luckily they weren't propped open that wide!

yeah we have just done a round of lime and potash. i think we will plant clover mixed with cool seasoned grasses. probally like switchgrass or something along those lines maybe some peas as well.

17. mouse

mouse Well-Known Member

(wishfully) avoiding work as much as possible
    round here blackberries seem to be the best thing to attract rabbits... how many rabbits should i send? :D

18. bigblueox

bigblueox Senior Member

few dozen should be adequate after they are rabbits.....

19. bigblueox

bigblueox Senior Member

snapped some more pics this week. The boss man decided he'd jump in the 631 today and clear some land to enlarge our hay field. so i got to play pick up sticks.

1: boss grubbing stumps
    2: my chariot
    3: the mayhem insues
    4: distance is a good thing
    5: our burn pit from a far

Attached Files:

20. bigblueox

bigblueox Senior Member

1: my hungry claw
    2: Saw longs bound for the mill
    3: The patented multi tree non-domino technique.
    4: now hes learning
    5: yes trees fall down when not pushed into other trees.

Attached Files: