• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few tips for digging in wet conditions

swampdog

I can share a few tips learned the hard way. For much of this summer, we worked on excavating/deepening a large pond in very wet conditions. Most of the so-called "soil" was wet blue clay.

The area was very wet, since it already was a shallow pond. We built a couple of causeways across it and pumped out the end we wanted to deepen. The causeways were about 100 yards long and built out of a mixture of dirt and gravel. We used a Cat 4 1/2 yd loader and a tractor to do the carrying. We then used the excavator to build platforms out from the causeways to give the excavator the reach needed to clean out the area. The loader carried the material away along the causeways and repaired the causeways with new dry material.

Even with the gravel/soil mix for a base, the 30+ ton Hitachi 270 often wanted to sink. Part of the problem was that the material we were excavating was so wet that it soaked everything else, including the platforms and causeways. We tried working on logs out on the platforms, but they often broke or just disappeared into the muck.

Much of the time while digging, the excavator was sunk to the top of the tracks in the mud. It didn't take long to get to know how much we could get away with. When the time came to move, the excavator bucket always managed to pull the machine out onto a more solid surface.

We found that large rocks worked better than logs for reinforcing platforms or for building a base for the excavator to crawl out on when stuck. We used about one hundred cubic yards of boulders left over from a crushing operation to make things work. The boulders were anywhere from one foot to three or four feet in diameter. We reused many of the rocks to build new platforms as we pulled the old platforms and causeways out behind us.

Because of the risk of getting badly stuck, it took a long time to get up the courage to tackle this job. If the excavator body had sunk out of sight, we might just have hooked up a pump and fountain head to the stick and turned it into a fountain. We had a few close calls with both the excavator and loader but, thankfully, it turned out OK.

badinf

Thanks for the information

I do some pond cleaning jobs from time to time, not as big as what you were doing. The worst one I have done had about 6 feet of mud that had the consistancy of chocolate pudding. Since it was a small pond I dug down to solid rock and just kept moving the mud.

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Man, can you imagine throwing a track in that situation?:eek:

swampdog

Man, can you imagine throwing a track in that situation?:eek:

Hey, I hadn't even thought about that. Having to put a track back on with the machine three feet deep into the muck would be a nightmare!! Fortunately, excavators don't seem as prone to throwing tracks as some dozers are.

Last edited:

345catgurl

Occupation
"HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR"---IM OUTTA WORK~ trying
hi ya'll -- im new on here an tryin to figure out how to use this site..first quiestion..can i put a pic up on here?....an how do i add folks to my friends er' what ever its called?...thanks fer any an all help............."angel"

345catgurl

Occupation
hi ya'll -- im new on here an tryin to figure out how to use this site..first quiestion..can i put a pic up on here?....an how do i add folks to my friends er' what ever its called?...thanks fer any an all help............."angel"

Digger Dan

Just send me your pics for a look first Angel:D

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
Yea digging in mud is not fun.:(

I got my 385 stuck last week, not fun!:(

I think I like digging in rock better!

kthompson

You can post pictures. I posted my first a couple of weeks back and for a rookie on that think...rather run the machine than post pictures. I am sure there are those who are experts at it but the way I did it was have the picture already saved on my computer and then scroll down below the area you type in to you see the button "Manage Attachments" and click on it.

When you find the file you want to post be sure you select to upload. I missed it on my first tries but when found it was OK.

Hope you enjoy it here. In the few days I have been here have found some good help and some good people.

It is good to have a Southern Belle here. There is at least one Southern gentleman, Atcoequip.

345catgurl

Occupation
You can post pictures. I posted my first a couple of weeks back and for a rookie on that think...rather run the machine than post pictures. I am sure there are those who are experts at it but the way I did it was have the picture already saved on my computer and then scroll down below the area you type in to you see the button "Manage Attachments" and click on it.

When you find the file you want to post be sure you select to upload. I missed it on my first tries but when found it was OK.

Hope you enjoy it here. In the few days I have been here have found some good help and some good people.

It is good to have a Southern Belle here. There is at least one Southern gentleman, Atcoequip.

.......THANK U..SOUTHERN GENTLEMAN...HOPE TO CHAT WIT YA MORE, SOON:notworthy

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I am refering to "Atcoequip" as being the Southern Gentleman. Not me. I am still trying working on it.

LoL...roddyo dubbed me an old buzzard a few days ago, now I've moved up to Southern
Gentleman! Who knows what I'll be tomorrow. :D

Welcome to the forum 345catgurl. :usa
You are now a Junior Member and can post pics. Go to the top of the page and click on the FAQ tab. Then click the link for Reading and Posting Messages. You'll find a link there for instructions for adding images. ;)