• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Luckily we haven't had to go deep into one yet. Don't know how much of a PITA it is to remove the rear counterweight. You ever have to do that on a 50-60K machine?

I've popped the counterweight off of 160 and 200 class machines. Thankfully, the ones I've done were pretty much designed for easy removal, just need the proper lifting eyes in the threaded holes in the counterweight. And it sure does open up the arse end of those things, don't help much with stuff that's crammed in the middle though.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Is the bucket on the new machine used? Looks dirty compared to the new machine.

Yes. We kept both buckets off the 325FL and the quick coupler. The main reason for keeping the buckets are they have the K series Cat teeth which are no longer under patent and can be bought aftermarket at 1/3- 1/2 the cost of OEM. The QC was in great shape so no reason to buy it again as well.

Welder Dave

Quite a few years I accidently backed the skid steer into a plastic drain line sticking up in the sand I was spreading prior to concrete. It might have been a good thing I bumped it because it didn't crack or anything. It just pulled right out of the tee fitting like it wasn't even glued. What a pain if it leaked after the floor was poured. I wonder how many other lines weren't glued properly??

skyking1

the other day the electricians had a riser pulled out like it had not been glued. I wondered if I bumped it when I was backfilling, but they said it was an oddball stick of conduit that was skinny, like it got stretched in the extruder. No amount of glue was going to make it secure, LOL.

crane operator

That's a nice looking excavator. I bet that zero swing really helps in a tight spot. Is the GPS/ laser system the same/ compatible with all your other rigs?

I bet that efficiency is the name of the game in those chain building jobs. Less fuel, less time, less skilled people, fewer passes over the site. We've actually been going the other way- I send 2 guys more and more even with the smaller cranes. Mostly because of visibility conditions, and liability/ lack of skills on the customer's part.

Oxbow

Delivery day!

We are currently working on the downtown remodel job but didn't want to send a new machine up there since there's not alot of grade work left. The 321 is there to wrap up the misc concrete demo so we had it delivered to our yard.

Nothing like a new machine and a nice day to boot.

View attachment 299166

The shorter GPS poles look and will function much better than the previous ones. The new receivers are much more compact than the ones on our D3.

View attachment 299167

Looking forward to putting this hoe to work!
Congratulations CM! I hope you really enjoy it.

I gather this is your first machine with Earthworks, and until now you have used the CB460?

It's a bit of a learning curve, but the new system does have a lot of advantages. We had connection problems between the receivers and machine ecm, but I beleive they have it figured out now with the latest software update.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Congratulations CM! I hope you really enjoy it.

I gather this is your first machine with Earthworks, and until now you have used the CB460?

It's a bit of a learning curve, but the new system does have a lot of advantages. We had connection problems between the receivers and machine ecm, but I beleive they have it figured out now with the latest software update.

Thank you!

This is our first GPS excavator. We are running Earthworks on our D3 next gen.

Funny you should say the problem with the receivers talking to the ECM. SiTech had the same issue when they installed the shorter receiver poles. Luckily the machine was still at the dealer so they worked it out.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
That's a nice looking excavator. I bet that zero swing really helps in a tight spot. Is the GPS/ laser system the same/ compatible with all your other rigs?

I bet that efficiency is the name of the game in those chain building jobs. Less fuel, less time, less skilled people, fewer passes over the site. We've actually been going the other way- I send 2 guys more and more even with the smaller cranes. Mostly because of visibility conditions, and liability/ lack of skills on the customer's part.

Thanks Craneop. Hope it serves us well and makes some money.

Yes this excavator will use our base station and rover we already have and (thankfully) will be paid off in June along with the GPS hardware on the D3.

Currently we are having 3rd parties build our machine models and for the price and efficiency we'll probably continue that. For a typical chicken shack or auto parts store the model runs $1,000 - 1,500. I include it as a general condition along with layout . It's a wash for the GC as they would spend $2-3K with a surveyor staking the job out traditionally. The same model works for both machines.

Efficiency is the name of the game. I can take 2 highly skilled operators with GPS and do the work of 4 men using a laser and survey hubs - and do it quicker. No grade checker holding a grade rod in the heat and dust or the cold and mud. Just ride in the seat with the A/C and radio on and let the machine do the tedious fine grading work.

Next machine up is a 279D3 with smart blade and full auto GPS. We will be able to use that machine to fine grade parking lots for curb instead of mob'ing in the D3 which will save time and money.

This is a 299 set up with a smart blade and gps poles at our dealer. That's the setup I would like on a 279. Don't want a 299 as it uses DEF, the 279's are below the HP requirement and don't use DEF.

C205CBCB-146A-4F0D-A23D-E05C2C667F27.jpeg

I think we can retrofit our '19 279D to operate a smart blade but not sure. We've bit off enough at the moment now it needs to earn it's keep.

Last edited:

Oxbow

Thank you!

This is our first GPS excavator. We are running Earthworks on our D3 next gen.

Funny you should say the problem with the receivers talking to the ECM. SiTech had the same issue when they installed the shorter receiver poles. Luckily the machine was still at the dealer so they worked it out.
We don't use it often, but the 2D capabilities built into the excavator can be handy for a quick job where you don't set up the base. You might also be able to take advantage of the bucket weighing option for loading trucks. It will track how much material (by material class) was loaded into each truck and run a tally. You do have to push the correct button at the correct time, but like anything else, once you use it a bit it would become habit. I suspect you could take advantage of this on any job that you have excess/disposal material.

We didn't think we would ever use the automatics or over-dig protection, but find them pretty usefull at times.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
You might also be able to take advantage of the bucket weighing option for loading trucks. It will track how much material (by material class) was loaded into each truck and run a tally.

That's a sleeper feature I think will really be profitable over the years for us. The majority of our jobs either have import or export. We can legally gross 25 tons on a tri-axle (non-interstate). Always want to get the most bang for our buck with hired trucks but don't want to overload them either. Being able to log the tons per truck and tally the total tons loaded at the end of the day is going to be valuable data.

We didn't think we would ever use the automatics or over-dig protection, but find them pretty usefull at times.

Over dig protection is another money saver for us I think. With #57 crushed rock running almost $30 per TN delivered every TN of rock saved adds up quick. Normal spec is 6" bedding under HDPE pipe and RCP. A couple of inches deeper over a thousand feet of pipe is a lot of rock.

Welder Dave

Having a way to tell how much is loaded on a truck would be a great advantage. I'll forget if I put 6 or 7 buckets on when hauling multiple loads but knowing what the combined weight is would tell you if you could put another bucket or partial bucket on. Would be really useful at the end and could eliminate an extra load or 2.

Browning.270

CM how you liking your 325? We have a new 323 and its definitely a different feel than the deere hoe im used to. We ordered it with a factory progressive link thumb and 48” bucket with hyd coupler. I feel like the thumb is too much, it feels like it could use more counterweight. I think il get used to it, lots to like about it compared to our 160

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
CM how you liking your 325? We have a new 323 and its definitely a different feel than the deere hoe im used to. We ordered it with a factory progressive link thumb and 48” bucket with hyd coupler. I feel like the thumb is too much, it feels like it could use more counterweight. I think il get used to it, lots to like about it compared to our 160

Well we haven't put it in the dirt yet. Took delivery last year for tax purposes, the project it is intended to debut on got the permitting green light today and we're rapping up a remodel project downtown our 321 has been working on. So it's been sitting at our yard waiting like a hunting dog in a kennel to hit the ground. :cool:

Had a 321CLCR we bought new with QC and progressive link thumb and it was too much weight out on the stick IMO as well. We were running a 48 and 36" bucket IIRC on that machine. With a loaded 48" bucket it was quite tippy and needed more counterweight. Clearing and thumb work with the smaller bucket was very nice though and the 321 handled it pretty well.

Our 325FL with QC and manual thumb handles the 48 and 30" buckets great as well as our hammer, although it can get tippy with the hammer extended out. Didn't go with a progressive link on the 325FL nor the new 325 as they are heavy with a QC (as discussed) and get in the way of pipe laying which is one our top profit centers. We just don't perform enough structural demo or clearing to offset the cons of a progressive link thumb for us.

DGODGR

Yeah, it actually digs without having to use the bucket curl exclusively.

No offense to you Deere guys, but it's the truth.
I have both a CAT 325 next gen (+/- 1,000 hrs), and a Deere 245G (+/- 3500 hrs). My 325 has a 48" severe duty bucket (1.6 cu. yd), quick coupler, and a progressive link thumb. The 245G is also usually run with a 48" bucket (only 1.2 cu. yds.), and also has a quick coupler and progressive link thumb. I run a hydraulic breaker (weighs 5,500#), and also a crusher bucket (weighs 6,000#) so we have a lot of weight out there at times. I ordered the 325 with the extra heavy counterweight (it weighs 18,000#) with keeping things as stable as possible in mind (more a$$= less tip). In my opinion the 325 handles everything just fine. It probably handles the heavy attachments better than the Deere 245G, as it relates to how "tippy" the machine is. The 245 is definitely less stable when the heavy attachments are mounted, but the CAT has that extra heavy counterweight, and, as a whole, is 5,000# heavier than the Deere (Deere is 60k#, and the CAT is 65k#). Regardless of which machine one runs those heavy attachments on, one must be careful when they are extended. Still, the CAT is more stable. The Cat feels slower, and heavier than the Deere. The Cat feels stronger when the digging gets tough. The Deere is much more agile, and precise. It makes the Cat feel clunky. The 245G hydraulics are amazingly smooth and precise. Super easy to blend. I think that the electric over hydraulic, on the CAT, has a way to go before it can match the precision of the old style hydraulic over hydraulic of the Deere.
As it relates to the "bucket curl" comment, I am under the impression that the Deere (and of course Hitachi) are designed to be a "stick priority". The CAT (and most all other main stream brands) are "boom and bucket priority". In my real world experience, this means that the Deere is great for digging that is not particularly tough, and the CAT is better at the tough digging. This is all seat of the pants evidence, not scientific. Lets take truck loading from a loose sock pile for an example. Even though I think that the Deere is better (performance only -not counting e-fence, scales, or auto grade, etc.) than the CAT (becasue it is quicker and more precise), the CAT probably makes up for it with capacity (1.6 yd vs. 1.2 yd). If you factor in the electronics (scales in this application), the CAT is likely a better choice if trying to get max legal payload in each truck. From an operators standpoint, I prefer to operate the Deere (and I'm more of a "CAT guy") because of how much more smooth, precise, and quick it is. I think that the CAT is much more comfortable (cab has much more room in it, AC actually keeps up when things get hot outside, seat is way more comfortable, better camera, and screen, and there are retractable window shades), and having grade control (so far I use indicate only, not the auto dig feature) is a game changer. From an ownership standpoint, I think that the CAT is still a bit better built. The gap has closed but I still think it's a bit better. The Deere is a true "zero tail" and the Cat tail sticks over the tracks about 9". Despite the fat tail, the CAT has much more room in the superstructure. There is more room to work on things, one can actualy store things in there (like tools and teeth, etc.), more room in the cab, and it's much easier to climb up on it to do things. Another fantastic thing about the CAT, ironically, is that you don't have to climb up on the CAT. It has it's daily checks accessible from ground level.

The Peej

I have both a CAT 325 next gen (+/- 1,000 hrs), and a Deere 245G (+/- 3500 hrs). My 325 has a 48" severe duty bucket (1.6 cu. yd), quick coupler, and a progressive link thumb. The 245G is also usually run with a 48" bucket (only 1.2 cu. yds.), and also has a quick coupler and progressive link thumb. I run a hydraulic breaker (weighs 5,500#), and also a crusher bucket (weighs 6,000#) so we have a lot of weight out there at times. I ordered the 325 with the extra heavy counterweight (it weighs 18,000#) with keeping things as stable as possible in mind (more a$$= less tip). In my opinion the 325 handles everything just fine. It probably handles the heavy attachments better than the Deere 245G, as it relates to how "tippy" the machine is. The 245 is definitely less stable when the heavy attachments are mounted, but the CAT has that extra heavy counterweight, and, as a whole, is 5,000# heavier than the Deere (Deere is 60k#, and the CAT is 65k#). Regardless of which machine one runs those heavy attachments on, one must be careful when they are extended. Still, the CAT is more stable. The Cat feels slower, and heavier than the Deere. The Cat feels stronger when the digging gets tough. The Deere is much more agile, and precise. It makes the Cat feel clunky. The 245G hydraulics are amazingly smooth and precise. Super easy to blend. I think that the electric over hydraulic, on the CAT, has a way to go before it can match the precision of the old style hydraulic over hydraulic of the Deere.
As it relates to the "bucket curl" comment, I am under the impression that the Deere (and of course Hitachi) are designed to be a "stick priority". The CAT (and most all other main stream brands) are "boom and bucket priority". In my real world experience, this means that the Deere is great for digging that is not particularly tough, and the CAT is better at the tough digging. This is all seat of the pants evidence, not scientific. Lets take truck loading from a loose sock pile for an example. Even though I think that the Deere is better (performance only -not counting e-fence, scales, or auto grade, etc.) than the CAT (becasue it is quicker and more precise), the CAT probably makes up for it with capacity (1.6 yd vs. 1.2 yd). If you factor in the electronics (scales in this application), the CAT is likely a better choice if trying to get max legal payload in each truck. From an operators standpoint, I prefer to operate the Deere (and I'm more of a "CAT guy") because of how much more smooth, precise, and quick it is. I think that the CAT is much more comfortable (cab has much more room in it, AC actually keeps up when things get hot outside, seat is way more comfortable, better camera, and screen, and there are retractable window shades), and having grade control (so far I use indicate only, not the auto dig feature) is a game changer. From an ownership standpoint, I think that the CAT is still a bit better built. The gap has closed but I still think it's a bit better. The Deere is a true "zero tail" and the Cat tail sticks over the tracks about 9". Despite the fat tail, the CAT has much more room in the superstructure. There is more room to work on things, one can actualy store things in there (like tools and teeth, etc.), more room in the cab, and it's much easier to climb up on it to do things. Another fantastic thing about the CAT, ironically, is that you don't have to climb up on the CAT. It has it's daily checks accessible from ground level.
great write up

Browning.270

I agree that was great info DGODGR, thanks for taking the time to share that. CM what have you guys been working on as of late? Do you guys get any kind of seasonal weather delays down there in the winter to speak of? We have been lucky up here in Illinois till now. Its currently below zero temps with over a foot of snow on the ground. We have been putting in water main in a new subdivision project, we are a week from being done if the weather would have held up. We have a large snow removal contract for when winter sets in, but id rather stay in the dirt.