• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
We've been busy and I've been slacking in updating this thread.

So here we go.:D

When you have a really good customer that pays well you do things for them one normally doesn't do for other clients. Sign installation for a new chicken shack, this will be #4 we've done for them. This is the largest site for a chicken shack we've done, a lot of storm pipe and import. We'll get into this one in the following month. Unfortunately it's a 1.5 hour drive one way from home base..

IMG_1857.JPG

We are currently working on an Aussie steak house. This site is the same one we demo'd the building on up thread. Super asked if we would unload the light poles as they were coming in one afternoon. No problem, he's a good super and easy to work with so I said "Yeah no problem". This is what showed up. Light poles stacked almost at the head of a 50' van trailer.:cool:

It wasn't that difficult. We laid each pole down and shot the rented lull into the van, strapped the pole and pulled it out. 5 total. The super owes us.:cool2

IMG_1865.JPG

I can't express how handy a zero swing excavator is on these tight jobs. Digging down to the existing inlet box to make the tie in for the new 18" RCP.

IMG_1869.JPG

Existing CIP inlet box to be tied into. The box was 8" thick at the top, however the form blew out at the bottom which made that section 12" thick. A 3 hour tie in turned into 3/4 of a day...:rolleyes:

IMG_1873.JPG

18" RCP making its way to the first inlet box.

IMG_1876.JPG

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Finishing up the condo project, setting 60" pre-cast tops on the CMP detention system we installed in May. My supplier said these tops weighed 4K lbs each and I was worried the T250 wouldn't pick them but it did.:cool2

IMG_1878.JPG

There were 2 60" tops on either end of the CMP detention system and one 48" top for the overflow baffle at the outflow. If the T250 wouldn't have picked the 60" tops I would've had to rent a 308 or 78 to pick and set. Nothing heavier could travel over the 60" CMP we installed.

IMG_1879.JPG

Taking care of a very good client with the Brushcat cutting about an acre behind his house for a walking trail. I normally don't do residential but this is obviously an exception.

:cool:

IMG_1881.JPG

2 hours later after a trip to the Bobcat store for a new pin, sledgehammer work, cussing and a lot of sweat - I was back in action..:cool:

IMG_1882.JPG

Later on that afternoon cutting in the walking trail...cutting edge wore thin and pulled the bolts through the edge...

IMG_1884.JPG

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Well look what the Cat drug in.:D

IMG_1885.JPG

2016 279D with hand foot controls and cold assed A/C...:cool2

IMG_1886.JPG

The bucket got a new lip and bolts - back into action.

IMG_1888.JPG

IMG_1890.JPG

Just demo'ing at the moment, so far I like it. Getting use to all the adjustable settings. Don't known at the moment whether it will become part of the "fleet" or not.:cool:

Landclearer

Hey CM, looks like you are as busy as we are. Sorry to hear about the hour and a half of travel time on the new job but you gotta keep your good customers happy.

That tie in looked like a lot of fun. 6 inches is bad enough but 12 in a nightmare. I have often thought about a concrete chainsaw for jobs like that.

Bobcatdaddy

CM are the hand foot controls on that 279D just like standard bobcat controls? If so, how do you like that machine compared to a bobcat?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
That tie in looked like a lot of fun. 6 inches is bad enough but 12 in a nightmare. I have often thought about a concrete chainsaw for jobs like that.

That's exactly what we were thinking as well. Husky makes a gas powered one and the power unit looks similar to a wood saw with HD air filter. They run $1500 or so, not too bad.

CM are the hand foot controls on that 279D just like standard bobcat controls? If so, how do you like that machine compared to a bobcat?

Yes the controls are Bobcat pattern with stick steering and foot boom/bucket control but it's different. The first 5-10 mins of running it is weird and then one gets the hang of it. Only put 2.5 hours on it so far so not enough time yet to give a full report.

So far I do like it. Getting used to all the operator settings like travel speed, bucket speed, etc. Oh yeah the A/C is ice cold.:D

Bobcatdaddy

That's good to know, I've got so used to standard bobcat controls that's all I've ever ran. I bet it is weird, especially if your used to bobcats lol. It'll def give bobcat some competition for all the standard control operating guys. I wasn't aware Cat was doing that until last night and kinda got a little excited after seeing your post. By the way, that's some nice looking work you guys do.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
That's good to know, I've got so used to standard bobcat controls that's all I've ever ran. I bet it is weird, especially if your used to bobcats lol. It'll def give bobcat some competition for all the standard control operating guys. I wasn't aware Cat was doing that until last night and kinda got a little excited after seeing your post. By the way, that's some nice looking work you guys do.

Thanks for the compliment Bobcatdaddy, we aren't the best but try to be.:D

So far me and my guys have had a little time on it and everyone is liking it. The oscillating undercarriage is nice and makes a nice grading machine.

Things we like -

Oscillating undercarriage
Suspension seat
Cold A/C
It has a heated seat but of course haven't used that yet...
All the controls are easy to reach and within eyesight.
Having joysticks instead of Bobcat levers for steering reduces arm movement and once you get use to it is nice
The ability to tailor the drive speed and bucket speed to individual preferences.
The two speed travel on the left hand joystick, it's easy to trigger back and forth when you need it
Serviceability is better than Bobcat, easy access to daily checks
Hydraulic cooling fan

Things we don't like -

The fisheye effect of looking through the lower portion of the door towards the bucket, it plays with your perception
The cab is on the small side internally and doesn't have as much room as the T250

Both of those lists will grow, if I decide to keep it. I've been wanting to divorce Bobcat for some time due to many factors and this might be the right venue.:cool:

Bobcatdaddy

I really like the fact that Cat has done there controls that way, I'll def consider trying one out. Never really considered it until I read your post about the controls, because I'm so used to bobcat controls. I know that machine is a little less horse power than your T250, but does it seem comparable to it in regards to power? I wonder how that cat machine would compare to bobcat on reliability, sure seems from my experience bobcats have there fair share of problems. Although I will admit, 751, 753, and 763 are pretty solid machines.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The 279 is comparable to the T250 but the T250's extra HP is noticeable when digging into a pile. Cutting hard ground I haven't noticed a difference.

My experience with Cat (the rest of our machines are all Cat except for a Gradall 534C) has been very good. I have a great relationship with the dealer that has went above and beyond in many instances. Up thread is a great example where they got Cat corp. to pay for a rental excavator for us while our 321 was waiting on duo cone seals.

Another item is parts - cost and availability. If my Cat dealer doesn't have we can usually get it the next day - except for the duo cone seals on the 321 but they kept us running, going to bat to get a rental.

Our local Bobcat dealer is outrageous on parts IMO. Some parts I can order from Atlanta, have them shipped and be cheaper.:cool:

Long story, I want to have the same brand machines. It makes it simpler all the way around. Our Bobcat dealer doesn't have the parts inventory nor the service ability of Cat.

The 743 and 843 Bobcat were rock solid machines, I cut my operating teeth on an 843 many moons ago. Quality and dependability have steadily went down IMO.

Bobcatdaddy

The 279 is comparable to the T250 but the T250's extra HP is noticeable when digging into a pile. Cutting hard ground I haven't noticed a difference.

My experience with Cat (the rest of our machines are all Cat except for a Gradall 534C) has been very good. I have a great relationship with the dealer that has went above and beyond in many instances. Up thread is a great example where they got Cat corp. to pay for a rental excavator for us while our 321 was waiting on duo cone seals.

Another item is parts - cost and availability. If my Cat dealer doesn't have we can usually get it the next day - except for the duo cone seals on the 321 but they kept us running, going to bat to get a rental.

Our local Bobcat dealer is outrageous on parts IMO. Some parts I can order from Atlanta, have them shipped and be cheaper.:cool:

Long story, I want to have the same brand machines. It makes it simpler all the way around. Our Bobcat dealer doesn't have the parts inventory nor the service ability of Cat.

The 743 and 843 Bobcat were rock solid machines, I cut my operating teeth on an 843 many moons ago. Quality and dependability have steadily went down IMO.

I feel ya on having the same equipment, and it for sure makes sense when they help you out like that. I agree on bobcat parts being high, I can't call bobcat without spending $500. My bobcat dealer isn't the friendliest and doesn't seem to wanna do any favors. I've talked with a salesman from local cat dealer lately and if the way he's treated me reflects the service side they're top notch he's very professional and treated me better than bobcat ever has and I haven't spent near as much money with them as bobcat.

I'm probably not nearly as high caliber customer as a lot of theirs, but my money is same as theirs and if they don't appreciate it, another manufacturer will.

Cat has a good looking machine. I've got a little 303c mini and really like it, actually wanting to upgrade sometime soon.

Landclearer

That's exactly what we were thinking as well. Husky makes a gas powered one and the power unit looks similar to a wood saw with HD air filter. They run $1500 or so, not too bad.

Yes the controls are Bobcat pattern with stick steering and foot boom/bucket control but it's different. The first 5-10 mins of running it is weird and then one gets the hang of it. Only put 2.5 hours on it so far so not enough time yet to give a full report.

So far I do like it. Getting used to all the operator settings like travel speed, bucket speed, etc. Oh yeah the A/C is ice cold.:D

Hey CM,

You ever used one of the Husky concrete chainsaws? We have a regular Husky concrete saw with a blown up motor and one regular chainsaw, everything else are Stihls.

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
CM,

I feel your pain with the over thick inlet & manhole walls. Here in the NY/NJ Metro area that is very common, I suggest you invest in a 30 LB. sinker drill and some 1/2" drill steel 18" to 30" long and some carbide cross bits 3/4" to 1 1/2".

We hang the drill horizontally with a rope from a 4" x 4" timber between the structure and the bank and drill a series of holes one bit diameter apart to out line the proposed opening and use a chipping gun to break the area between the holes.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Hey CM,

You ever used one of the Husky concrete chainsaws? We have a regular Husky concrete saw with a blown up motor and one regular chainsaw, everything else are Stihls.

No I haven't, just thought about one on that inlet and for future use. We've got a Husky rescue saw that's performed well and Stihl chainsaws.

CM,

I feel your pain with the over thick inlet & manhole walls. Here in the NY/NJ Metro area that is very common, I suggest you invest in a 30 LB. sinker drill and some 1/2" drill steel 18" to 30" long and some carbide cross bits 3/4" to 1 1/2".

We hang the drill horizontally with a rope from a 4" x 4" timber between the structure and the bank and drill a series of holes one bit diameter apart to out line the proposed opening and use a chipping gun to break the area between the holes.

That's a good idea RBM, thanks for the advice. I'm filing that one in the "solution file".:D

Normally we don't run across CIP inlet structures to tie into. They are either newer pre-cast or older brick, both of which are not hard to tie into. Sometimes we are placing a new structure in an existing line.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
A little from this week on the steakhouse project.

Running main line for area drains and roof leaders.

IMG_1900.jpg

4" PVC to collect 2-2" PVC rain leaders.

IMG_1901.jpg

So me and my guys were talking about a plastic welder and whether it would work or not. So I headed to Harbor Freight and bought one along with a selection of hole saws.

2-1/2" hole saw and 10 minutes of plastic welding and we had a connection. Worked like a charm, as strong as a glued connection. What I like about it is there is more flexibility in making the connection instead of lining up fittings.

IMG_1902.jpg

SDR 35 yard inlet in a landscaped area.

IMG_1905.jpg

Hole saw and plastic welder was used again to tie into the 8" SDR 35. All in all I had $126 in the welder, rods and hole saw set. It paid for itself on this job and ready for the next.

IMG_1906.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
This is what you get when residential sparky's trying to do commercial work run a grade rod in order to install secondary service to the building.:cool:

The conduits were a tenth or so below sub grade. We had an area drain and roof drain for the dumpster pad coming out of the manhole crossing underneath the secondary, so we cut the conduits out of the way, ran our pipe and excavated the trench for the secondary. The electricians then lowered the conduit and we backfilled. Yeah, we're good guys sometimes.:cool2

IMG_1894.jpg

Craning in R2 to compact the backfill for the area drain and electrical conduits.

IMG_1895.jpg

Backfilling roof drains and stockpiling the haul off.

IMG_1908.jpg

Summertime in Alabama - add 90% humidity to that temp. and who needs a sauna?:rolleyes:

IMG_1896-2.jpg

td25c

That's pretty cool using the plastic welder on the pipe fittings , I like it !:thumbsup

Looks like you are keeping the rock box busy .

Ponderosa Steakhouse ?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
That's pretty cool using the plastic welder on the pipe fittings , I like it !:thumbsup

Looks like you are keeping the rock box busy .

Ponderosa Steakhouse ?

Thanks TD. The plastic welder worked out well. After the connection cooled, we tugged on it and it was solid.

The rock box has paid for itself in rock saved and time laying pipe. It's a new prototype Outback, totally different from what the old ones look like.

td25c

I'm for sure going to look in on the plastic welder , made a nice clean connection not to mention saving cost of special fittings .

Buy the way ............. Could you guys speed it up on the Outback Steak House job , I'm starving just thinking about it .:D

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Buy the way ............. Could you guys speed it up on the Outback Steak House job , I'm starving just thinking about it .:D

We're trying. If you could get the stucco guys pallets of insulation, faux rock and buckets of stucco out of the way we'd be done next week.:Banghead

Dumping the rest of the roof insulation for the dumpster enclosure on top of it tomorrow to get it out of the way.:rolleyes: