• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A few projects I have done recently

Landclearer

I still think the geology in your area is interesting. We seem to be a little better off than you. For the most part if the material in an area is good, it is good if not it is all bad. We do not see good side by side with bad stuff. We do have layers of either good or bad though.

I prefer loading with the truck parallel to the cut swinging over the tailgate and swinging the length if the truck. Not always possible though.

Tags

The really aggravating part of the week. Super calls and says pavers knocked the ring off the storm sewer manhole and says "All you need is a little hot mud to fix it". Well this is what it looked like when we showed up. Super then proceeds to say we should've used concrete brick instead of clay brick to which I said - "Neither one would've held up to a paver smacking it".:rolleyes:

There was no further discussion, we reset the ring and lid and they finished the wear course. All in a days work.

View attachment 139788

Ha, ya gotta love that super, it's your fault the paving guy knocked it loose because you didn't use concrete brick, that's a good one, hysterical! Great pics and great work, I love checking out these kind of posts! I need to ask though, what is "chert"? And you can just pull in and load yourself or is this your land?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I still think the geology in your area is interesting. We seem to be a little better off than you. For the most part if the material in an area is good, it is good if not it is all bad. We do not see good side by side with bad stuff. We do have layers of either good or bad though.

I prefer loading with the truck parallel to the cut swinging over the tailgate and swinging the length if the truck. Not always possible though.

LC this area is a mixed bag of all sorts of material. We've got limestone, iron ore and coal amongst a lot of other materials all located in a rather small geographical area. It's the reason Birmingham was once the "Steel City" of the south. The raw materials were readily available in close proximity. I'm going to the pit in the morning and I'll try to get some pictures of the different materials.

The road leading up the pit was built from the iron ore waste, my truck has a coating of reddish purple dust.:rolleyes:

It's funny how we all have our preferences on how we do things in this business. When I load chert I like the front to back method as all the larger rocks roll down to the bottom of the bed, less clean up at the top of the bed when loaded. What works for one might not work for the other as the trick is in the trade.:D

Ha, ya gotta love that super, it's your fault the paving guy knocked it loose because you didn't use concrete brick, that's a good one, hysterical! Great pics and great work, I love checking out these kind of posts! I need to ask though, what is "chert"? And you can just pull in and load yourself or is this your land?

Tags we run into this all the time. To be honest, it pisses me off to a degree. Just say the paver knocked it off, they are laying the seal coat and we're trying to get done - no big deal as I've screwed up all sorts of stuff. What pisses me off is the little addition of BTW - " you didn't do it right.":cool:

Thanks for the kind comments. This is a good explanation of chert - http://geology.com/rocks/chert.shtml

We have a couple of chert pits in the area and it's great stuff to work due to the rock content and the fact the rock breaks up under a compactor making a fill mix that can be like mixing #57 stone with clay. However it is very abrasive and will wear metal quickly. The best way to load it out of a pit is with a hoe. That way you're only wearing the bucket and teeth, not an undercarriage as well if you were using a track loader. I keep my loader out of the chert pits.

This pit is a commercially run borrow pit that I haul out of from time to time. It's a you load and pay by the load pit. They also have a spoil and brush dump so it makes it convenient if you have an undercut and replace project - haul a load of crap in and take back a load of fill.

Man I wish it was my place, there's a lot of dollars worth of fill on that mountain.:cool:

Last edited:

Fastdirt

Lot's of good pics and jobs CM. Love seeing you steady at it and making it happen. I know you work your tail off and just show us the easy part but you have a lot on your plate to operate that business by yourself. Love the dog picture, now those are the days.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
CM, what does it cost to buy a tandem dump truck load of fill from the pit?

dirty4fun

My dog used to go where ever I was working. He loved the backhoe as he could look out the front and turn around and watch squirrels and other things out the open back window. They sure are great company!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
FD I don't work 1/2 as hard as you do.:D There's a lot of planning and paperwork but at least my machines stay in one place for a while and I don't have to deal with idiots on 4 wheels on a regular basis.

JB a load costs $25 per tri-axle load, we load. Back in '13 it was $15 per load.

The job we are on now you have to have a hot permit to fart..:rolleyes: So the pit was the only place I have right now to introduce her to equipment. Dirty I don't know about putting her in the backhoe, she's so restless and curious she'd probably do laps inside the cab.:D

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
LC I took a few shots of the chert pit today.

The separation between the good chert and the nasty clay can be seen where the purple ribbon runs through. Everything below this is not suitable for what we are doing. This bank was excavated by someone else, we're just loading from that position.

photo-213.JPG

Not the best picture but I put the tooth on the separation between the good chert and the clay. The seem of chert dies down rather quickly to the right and that's where we've been digging and loading from.

photo-212.JPG

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
Hmmm, and here I was thinking that chert was some type of clay. Guess not. Lots of different materials all in one spot!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
JNB it has clay layers between the rock. Sometimes there is more clay in the mix than rock and sometimes you get a nice small sized stone. The nasty clay layer in the pic above is all clay, no rock. It's the type of clay that gets real slippery and looses it's structure when wet.

The purple layer between the chert and clay is trace iron ore.

Landclearer

Thanks for the pics CM. Makes you wonder how all those layers got mixed up the way they are. What would happen if the chert was mixed with the clay? Around her a certain amount of clay mixed in helps with getting compaction. I know if the layer of clay is real thick it would ruin the chert but what would a thin layer do? Not just anyone can go in that pit and know what they are digging. Your fill price is cheap compared to ours. We pay anywhere from $3.25 to $4.00 per yard.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
LC as a kid we had an abandoned chert pit that we would find sea shells in, so at one time or another it was some body of water. It's sedimentary rock so the material changes from location to location.

The chert rock layers do have a certain amount of clay running between them. A good mix is around 70% rock and 30% clay. In the pictures the yellow clay below the chert is just yellow, slick clay with no rock. It's really not good for anything.

Is that price per CY you loading it or they loading at the pit?

Landclearer

Your geology definitely is interesting. It is hard to believe that there were oceans in places that are nowhere near water now. I guess the best comparison we have is shellsand. It is very coarse gray sand full of shells. 99% of the time if you find shellsand you find gumbo which is the gray version of your yellow clay. If you mix some gumbo into the shellsand the stuff will set up like concrete.

The dirt pits around here they load you. I don't think there are any pits that you can load yourself. Bu the way, shellsand is $18 per yard at the pit.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
LC I'm really intrigued by geology as we dirt movers come in contact with it in a daily basis. If I had the time I would go back to college and study the field. The shell sand sounds fascinating in the fact you mix it with the gumbo and it sets up like concrete. There must be a chemical reaction between the two when mixed that doesn't happen in it's natural state. Yeah I'm a nerd at heart.:D

Some track loader action from today -

It's a grainy picture, I guess I didn't let the iPhone adjust first.:rolleyes: Dumping a load of chert and fill commencing on the south end of the building.

photo-215.JPG

Pushing #57's for backfill against the basement wall. The walls are 14' tall with a 7' wide footing. 4' of the the footing protrudes into the backfill zone from the outer face of the wall, 1' wide foundation wall with 2' of footing on the inside. Spec's called for a 1/1 stone wedge from the outer most edge of the footing to final grade, so there will be 18' of stone at the top of the backfill. Per the contract the GC is supplying stone and we are placing it, that's a **** ton of stone and I didn't want to have the bill for it.:cool2

photo-214.JPG

Love running the 953, it's my favorite machine.;)

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
Ah...a little track loader love! :D How many hours on it?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Ah...a little track loader love! :D How many hours on it?

Just shy of 5K hours JNB. Getting ready for an undercarriage, it's still the original except for the front let idler, replaced it with a reman a few weeks ago. The idler shaft broke, still trying to figure out how that happened. Our dealer has a core swap for a total idler assembly, $3K later we have a reman idler assembly complete with new track guides. I haven't gotten the core credit back yet on the current billing cycle in order to see what it will actually cost.

Fastdirt

Two of my favorites right there.... a 953 and an LTL. Bet that LTL has earned a couple few million dollars in it's life time. Love a 953 too maybe the quickest track loader ever made.

That's crazy backfilling with all that gravel. I always think to myself that when burying gravel it just creates underground water retention areas.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
FD I think that LTL has crossed the 1M mile mark. 3406 mechanical with walking beams. It's a business friend's of mine, he also owns the lowboy that moves the 321.

I agree on the stone in most instances but this building is located at the bottom of a rock hill. This is the same project we've had ground water issues. All I can say is that little 4" ADS foundation drain will be flowing.:cool:

There are also multiple porches and patios on the front of the building, with solid stone backfill there won't be any settling.

Landclearer

Thanks for the 953 pics. Two things I do not get to see often, trackloaders and Ford dump trucks. That looks like a good sized load on there, more than 16 yards?

As for the shellsand, the best explanation I can give you is the clay mixes with the sand which is angular and then sticks together locking it up. We have a job coming up with a parking lot that will get topped with 2 inches of shellsand and I will get some pics for you.

grandpa

Maybe you should buy that mountain? A good source of your own material could be the backbone to your company.... as long as its strategically located.. and PS, I'd still love to be your stone supplier. And a sidenote, if you think your geology changes, you otta run a glacier or two across it, just to make things really interesting. :D