• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A desperate man

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
As embarassing as this is, here goes ...

I'm heading out of town tomorrow morning to check out the CAT 420D I mentioned in the thread of the same name (please see the thread entitled Cat 420D). As I have not operated a backhoe in many moons, I was wondering if someone might offer me some basic pointers on how to give it an operational/functional test -- NOT a mechanical checkout, which was covered in the aforementioned "other" thread.

Being an '02 model, I understand that it has "joystick" type controls. Like I said, the machine I operated definitely didn't have these types of controls, so I feel a bit lost at the moment. :confused: If you could offer me some pointers, I'd be very grateful.

In fact, I'm even more embarassed because I don't really even know how to be a bit more specific ... Okay, here's something to start with ... How do you engage the 4-wheel drive? Is there a special lever or button for this purpose? Are the front bucket controls operated by a joystick as well or, conversely, are there levers for this purpose? :beatsme

If anyone knows of a "primer" I could read, I'd be glad to read it. A good website perhaps?

Thanks a bunch and have a great night ... And by the way, I didn't know I was leaving town until about 2 hours ago ... :eek:

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
I answered most of that in a Pm. Hope it helps.

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
Many thanks!

A great big THANK YOU goes out to Cat420 for all his help with this. Not only did he give me extremely solid information, but he even gave me photographs to work with as well. His help was invaluable to us! It's really great to know that there are still folks out there that are willing to help out others -- without employing an agenda of some kind. Cheers, Cat420. :drinkup

Cat420

Occupation
You're very welcome. I hope your machine gives you many years of trouble free service:drinkup

I just remember that I forgot to get some shots of the guards I mentioned. Here's some off of my phone, just let me know if you need better quality ones. The bottom one shows the piece that holds the guard up off the hoses on the cylinders.

Attachments

• DSC00123 (Small).JPG
    DSC00123 (Small).JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 536
  • DSC00124 (Small).JPG
    DSC00124 (Small).JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 517

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
Stabilizer Guards

Howdy Cat420,

I was hoping you might elaborate on the bottom photo a bit. I'm assuming that there is a piece welded to the underside of the guard that keeps it clear of the hydraulic cylinder supply hoses. But considering that the guard itself seems to be "free floating," I'm wondering where it's located? In other words, if it's welded to the underside of the guard, wouldn't it make contact with the hydraulic hoses whenever the stabilizers are extended toward the ground?

I'm sure the folks at CAT have this all figured out, but I'd like to know in case CAT is asking for the kitchen sink [literally] to sell a pair of them to us. ;) If that's the case, I'd seriously consider fabricating some myself.

Have a great one ... :)

Cat420

Occupation
The piece below slides over the end of the cylinder and gets connected with hose clamps. It slides against the guard, keeping it from rubbing any hoses. Ours is off right now because the guard bent a little and this piece now pushes the guard too far out when the stabilizers are up.

Attachments

• DSC00125 (Small).JPG
    DSC00125 (Small).JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 511