1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

A death from a pin grabber /quick hitch

Discussion in 'Safety Issues' started by stock, Nov 10, 2009.

  1. stock

    stock Senior Member

    Aug 4, 2008
    We have moved on and now were lost....
    There has been another quick hitch related fatality. Details are just emerging about the incident which took place in August when a surveyor was killed by a bucket falling off a 20t excavator on a site in Redditch.
    CJ has confirmed that the incident involved a semi-automatic coupler and the indications are that the safety pin had not been inserted. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) confirmed it is investigating the incident, but would only divulge limited information so as not to prejudice any subsequent legal action.
    The incident involved a Komatsu PC210-6, which would be at least seven years old, and Hill Engineering confirmed that one of its couplers was involved. How the incident happened remains unclear as the surveyor is known to be at ground level when the accident happened and there are unconfirmed reports that the excavator was stopped at the time.
    The HSE said currently nobody has been charged over the incident.