• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

a/c equipment questions

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I've always done a/c work with a robinair machine which took a lot of the work out of fixing a/c. I'm now looking at buying a vacuum pump and gauges for the service truck. Is a 4 cfm 1/3hp pump big enough? also do you guys use a scale and a tank of r-134a or just the 12 oz cans? any recommendations on equipment? I've seen gauges from $39.95 to 300. don't mind spending the dough I just don't want to waste it. thanks

and yes I know its February, not july :D

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
im no expert but i when i use a vacuum pump i check to see if it could make enough vacuum to boil water at room temp. not sure if it that big of deal but the way i see it if it boils water at room temp them it should be able to pull the moisture out of the system more efficiently my guages are from napa they were like 100 and i have no complaints thus far

ohiofleet

I do a lot of a/c work 4 cfm will be plenty and I use a tank and scales its to much trouble to haul a bunch of cans

nowing75

I got lucky and found a vacuum pump at auction for $5. I don't have a scale just guess for now but I should get one. I think I got my Gage's from napa about $100. A lazer tem gun helps for trouble shooting.

Shimmy1

I have Napa gauges as well. The ends that it comes with are not the best, but the gauges are fine. I use a $15 Harbor Freight air-powered vacuum pump. Pulls 28 in. just fine. For someone that is going to work on A/C everyday, you should have a good scale. I just have the equipment to be able to fix a leak, or add a can if needed.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Buy a keg or 2 of juice. I get a 30lb for $75 this time of year. Summer they are over $100. A nitrogen cyl. to find leaks is also mandatory. I suppose you could use the clean dry air from a torch set also. Plug er in and spin the regulator till something pops or you hit 300psi!

lantraxco

Buy a keg or 2 of juice. I get a 30lb for $75 this time of year. Summer they are over $100. A nitrogen cyl. to find leaks is also mandatory. I suppose you could use the clean dry air from a torch set also. Plug er in and spin the regulator till something pops or you hit 300psi!

NO! Do NOT use oxygen from a torch set! :eek: Good way to kill yourself or someone nearby when the pure oxygen causes a flammable lubricant to explode inside the AC system! Just my $.02, better safe than sorry. Nitrogen is CHEAP, used to run air wrenches off tanks of Nitrogen in the local circle track pits.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I know about using nitrogen and I have 3-4 years experience on a/c, I've just always had a machine to use. I'm more interested in getting set up to do a/c with a pump and gauges.

Shimmy1

NO! Do NOT use oxygen from a torch set! :eek: Good way to kill yourself or someone nearby when the pure oxygen causes a flammable lubricant to explode inside the AC system! Just my $.02, better safe than sorry. Nitrogen is CHEAP, used to run air wrenches off tanks of Nitrogen in the local circle track pits.

From my basic welding class in college, I remember the instructor telling us just one drop of oil into the cylinder side of a regulator could be a deadly mistake. DO NOT use pure oxygen from a torch tank. I think they almost give cylinders of nitrogen away.

FSERVICE

any set of gauges will work!!! a GOOD QUALITY scale is a must have, that's why the mfg puts the tag on it that says how much is in the system.. 4 CFM is plenty on the pump. the big difference on gauge sets is the 2 or 4 handle set, & the quality of the hoses.. I have 4 sets 2 on the truck & 2 at the shop.. I like the longer hoses ( 5') so it will reach the pump or cyl of Freon ( I use the 25# cyl of Freon).. I will also add use nitrogen with a regulator to pressure the system!! NEVER USE OXYGEN TO PRESSURE TEST ANYTHING UNLESS YOU WANT TO KILL YOUR FOOL SELF!!! another nice addition is a vacuum gauge that way you can be sure the moisture is out of the system. im not talking bout a compound gauge that comes on the manifold either!! separate electronic that ties into the top of the vacuum pump..

DoyleX

Occupation
What chemical reaction takes place between the oil and O? I play with large amounts NH3 all the time. I know about do and do nots at the proper time in the reaction. Its only dangerous if you dont know what will happen.

DoyleX

Occupation
That was just plain stupidity to loosen a fitting on a pressured up vessel. No oil involved. Also lack of training.

Back to the oil and a/c
To get a reaction you would need a ignition source first. Second the flash point of oil is pretty high unless atomized (will happen when a line breaks) I understand that straight gas O is a oxidizer times 3

I also understand that most people can not differentiate between a educated controlled risk and shaking hands with danger. It's safer just to put it all in the danger category.

Delmer

I also understand that most people can not differentiate between a educated controlled risk and shaking hands with danger. It's safer just to put it all in the danger category.

An educated controlled risk in my book is working on live wiring, or cutting an oil tank, or working on a running engine. If you're "educated" there are ways to control the risk. Pressure testing with Oxygen OR Acetylene is always just plain stupid. "ignition source" and "flash point" at normal atmosphere are irrelevant when using pure pressurized oxygen.

Lots of other gasses available if you don't want to carry a nitrogen cylinder.

lantraxco

Back to the oil and a/c
To get a reaction you would need a ignition source first. Second the flash point of oil is pretty high unless atomized (will happen when a line breaks) I understand that straight gas O is a oxidizer times 3

That's the point, Oxygen is an oxidizer, and the higher the pressure, the faster oxidation occurs, to the point where anything flammable, especially liquids, will self ignite from the heat of the oxidation. Oxygen creates it's own ignition source, violently. It's not a controlled risk, it's more like Russian Roulette.

621_Rocker

Yes, lantraxco is absolutely correct, oxidization creates its own heat. Heat is a byproduct of all oxidization processes. Rusting is an oxidization process that is used in hand warmer packets using an oxidizer with a very fine iron powder. Given an oxygen rich environment effectively lowers a combustibles flash point.

doug2015

leak

I have Napa gauges as well. The ends that it comes with are not the best, but the gauges are fine. I use a $15 Harbor Freight air-powered vacuum pump. Pulls 28 in. just fine. For someone that is going to work on A/C everyday, you should have a good scale. I just have the equipment to be able to fix a leak, or add a can if needed.

if you have a leak you need to bring down to complete vac to make sure no moisture in system before topping up other wise your doing it wrong