• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

99 school bus electrical problems

92b16si

Hey guys in stumped. I just bought a 99 international school bus made by bluebird. Iam having electrical issues. First my turn signals are not working, dont know if its the switch lever, or relay( which I have no idea were itis). Second issues is I went to start it this morning and the main relay located in the side panel started buzzing like crazy. It turns on and all.but wont stop buzzing. Any help would be aprechiated. Or of anyone knows a cool electrician in chicagoland area.

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
I would turn the signal on and pull a bulb to see if there is even power at the light. It may just be a bad ground. there should be a fuse panel either under the dash or the hood. It should have the fuses and relays in it. Swap it with the same size relay of something that works and that should atleast get you started.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
We still run about 60 of those old Bluebirds that are GMC's. Also have about 20 Internationals just a couple of years newer. Both brands are a wiring nightmare. They constantly drive our fleet mechanics crazy. We currently have 7 of the internationals sitting in the "bone yard", awaiting various electrical repairs.
Most common problem with the turn signals is the switch itself. The Bluebirds have the switch inside the steering column covering. The Internationals have the switch in a separate housing that is clamped onto the steering wheel. The IHC type causes more problems than the GMC type, but both go out on a regular basis.