• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

980H Transmission Shift issue

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
Hi guys looking for any pointers… we have a Cat 980H JMS00225 which had no transmission issues but the the shift solenoid o rings on the top of the transmission were leaking badly so this weekend I carefully removed each one and replaced the o rings on each module. There are 6 total gears 1-4 and forward and reverse. Fast forward to today I finally finished changing some hyd lines I had been waiting for and I start it for the first time to move it out of the shop but I have no 1-3 gears in forward, 4th is the only gear that works in forward……..but in reverse I have all 1-4 gears. I just changed the oil and filter about 40 hours ago and I had no issues until I changed the o rings on these shift solenoids, everything was working normally. I didn’t even disconnect any wiring at any point I just unbolted each solenoid one at a time changed each o ring and reinstalled. I spoke with my go to cat mechanic but he was somewhat stumped because I have 4th gear in forward and everything is normal in reverse he mentioned usually you would lose one direction completely or one gear completely is a solenoid was the issue. Anyone have an insight?…….I did run the machine around the yard for two 10 minute intervals hoping something would change getting it warm but it’s still the same condition. When in 4th gear and you touch the clutch pedal to downshift the screen will read 3F for example but the machine will come to a stop like the brake comes on, same for 1 and 3 while moving. Again reverse behaves normally no issues with gears or shifts.