• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

980h radiator fan stopped turning

JakeHarrington

Hey guys Im having some trouble with machine overheating. The hydraulic fan doesnt turn somedays. Today is the 4th or 5th time i have had this happening. The machine will run fine for like 2-3 hours and then ill notice the engine temp gauge start to creep up. So i get out of the machine and see that the fan has stopped spinning
The serial number on the machine is JMS03132
So far i have tried cracking a few lines to see if its air bound. That doesnt seem to make a difference at all.
i tried unplugging two solenoids also. One that goes to a little aluminum block with three lines goin to it. I believe that controls the control oil to the piston pump. Unplugging also does nothing.
I also unplug the solenoid back by the big aluminum block by the radiator and battery shut off. That also makes no difference.

thankfully i have a spare smaller machine on site now. But i have to get this thing running consistently. Chances are after a night of sitting when i start it up tomorrow all will be well.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thank you in advance
Jake Harrrington

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Here are a couple print outs that may help:

And I know it might sound like a lot of money but if you are going to keep using this machine I would think hard about getting the Service manual on it

https://www.servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=+JMS03132

$892. might sound like a lot but it just might save you that much in a couple months time if you really need this machine. And you can probably Ebay it and recover most if not all your investment in a few years.

Attachments

• 980H Wheel Loader Hydraulic Fan System.pdf
    246.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 980HCooling Fan Control - Test.pdf
    445.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

JakeHarrington

I have cat ET hooked up to my machine now. Im following the procedure that you sent over for the cooling fan control test.
Im to the part where you go into the diagnostic tests. But i cant find the override parameters button. To activate the fan override. Any suggestions?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I have cat ET hooked up to my machine now. Im following the procedure that you sent over for the cooling fan control test.
Im to the part where you go into the diagnostic tests. But i cant find the override parameters button. To activate the fan override. Any suggestions?
Wish I could help, it's been around four years since I had access to ET or a Cat loader to play with. Maybe someone else will jump in with pointers?