• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

980H planetary

jett01

Hello Nige thank you . The reduction gears are what im thinking is the problem. the cover plate that i did not post a photo of has burn marks on it from 2 of the 3 gears and i will also post a picture of that soon . The reduction gear case got really hot and 2 gears started grinding/ stalling and making lots of fine shavings. i have only removed the front plate so far . I am going to wash it clean soon and i will post a picture of plate and a close up of the gears .

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
My suggestion would be to pull off the complete assembly and go into the brakes as well. The reason being that a problem in the inboard design of brakes used on the 980H can translate into loads of heat in the planetary. Not saying that the problem started in the brakes but IMHO you are missing a trick if you don’t at least pull them apart and check.

To simply disassemble the planetary you need a 1/2” UNC eyebolt screwed in the end of the shaft than rotate the hub a hair either way to get the weight off. The axle shaft should then slide straight out. To remove the planetary there are (I think) two 1/2” threaded extraction holes in between the wheel bolt holes. A bolt in each of those and the planetary assembly should slide straight out.

If you want to go into the brakes as well pull the axle shaft as above then support the final drive assembly and remove the ring of bolts on the RH side of your original photos almost directly under the outside of the machine chassis. The assembly can then be removed and stood up vertically for disassembly. Personally I find it easier than turning the loader on its side…….

If you want the full details for disassembly I can post them up.

jett01

thank you so much . i am going to put my coveralls on and get it washed . if you do not mind the full details i would like that then i can print them off instead of running to my device all the time .
Many thanks - its been breakdown after breakdown lately and cannot afford to keep sending my iron to cat . I pretty confident i can repair this in house or At least i think i can .

Nige

Here are the full instructions including the D&A for the brakes.

BTW the Duo-Cone seal is leaking and needs to be replaced while you are in there.

If you find that a planetary pin has spun (likely from the photos) and you need a replacement carrier ask if there is Reman available. It appears as though there was an upgrade regarding planetary pin retention for the original 123-9046 Planetary Carrier. There is a new Part Number 463-9184 but it also requires three new planetary shafts and dowels paired with it.

Attachments

• Final Drv & Brk Assy.pdf
    454.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

jett01

Hey Nige I have the reduction case removed . Both axle and case came out like it was just put together from new . Thank you for your document you attached I have not downloaded yet but will tonight and print . This is really good information. Thanks again IMG_3893.jpegIMG_3894.jpeg

Nige

Oh dear. That’s not looking good.
Parts so far appear to be - Carrier, ring gear, axle sun gear, three new planetary pins along with bearings, planetary gears & thrust washers, & a Duo-Cone seal assembly. And that’s before you get into the brakes…….

How many hours on the loader and what oil are you using in the axles.?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Parts so far appear to be - Carrier, ring gear, axle sun gear, three new planetary pins along with bearings, planetary gears & thrust washers, & a Duo-Cone seal assembly. And that’s before you get into the brakes…….

Agree that's not good! I'm wondering the reason for this failure. I worked on Cat front end loaders for around 40 years and don't recall one failing like that.

Just out of an abundance of caution at the least I would be pulling the cover off the opposite end of that axle!

Just a quick look at the instruction posted that looks very close if not the exact same brake and finals as the 980G. Recall one of those that had major failure of brake disks but planetary was still good!

Good luck!

Nige

Here's the SMag anmouncing the reason for the change and the parts required to replace the former 129-3046 Part Number of carrier. Reading the article it would appear as though the original P/N of dowel was a bit on the flimsy side.

Attachments

• M0064612.pdf
    131.4 KB · Views: 3

jett01

Yes this looks expensive ! I’m going to try CAT used for starters or try find a dismantled machine for parts . The whole assembly not just individual parts . The loader itself has close to 30K hours . It did have lots of oil

jett01

Agree that's not good! I'm wondering the reason for this failure. I worked on Cat front end loaders for around 40 years and don't recall one failing like that.

Just out of an abundance of caution at the least I would be pulling the cover off the opposite end of that axle!

Just a quick look at the instruction posted that looks very close if not the exact same brake and finals as the 980G. Recall one of those that had major failure of brake disks but planetary was still good!

Good luck!
Thanks Ken I’ve never seen one pile up like that as well

jett01

Yes this looks expensive ! I’m going to try CAT used for starters or try find a dismantled machine for parts . The whole assembly not just individual parts . The loader itself has close to 30K hours . It did have lots of oil
Just got off the phone with Cat they want 12,500 for a reman with 6 month warranty

jett01

Finals never overhauled before.? They are well overdue if that’s the case. Regarding oil I was asking more about type and viscosity. The oil from that final is shared between the diff and the other final.
Nige I’m thinking it was a 15/40 or 10/30 not sure but I think they recommend that unless it has changed . It did weep a bit from the cone seal you mentioned but then it also stopped . If I remember right the operator noticed it and checked it out . The day was cold -40 he was walking it from pit to pit