• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

977K or L Fuel transfer pump

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Hello guys, a friend of mine has a 977K or L (he's not sure which, but it's definitely newer than my 977H) that won't run. He says he had some mechanics look at it and tell him that the "small fuel pump" as they call it and I assume they mean the transfer pump isn't delivering fuel to the injector pump. I promised him I'd help him so here I am looking for a bit of help... Not sure when he'll be able to go find out what series machine it is but in the mean time I thought I'd ask if the pumps are the same on a K and an L or if they're different depending on which machine it is? Or if we're really fortunate would one from a 977H fit, because if that's the case I'd just rob one from a parts engine for my 977Hs? Next time I get down there I'm going to try to get it going for him, or perhaps even buy it off of him (I know, like I need ANOTHER track loader)...

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Or even a picture or two so we would have even an idea of what you are working on. But a serial number off the engine and or off the machine would go a long way into understanding what you are dealing with.

Also the picture would help as it is possible that someone has made changes over the years. I have been guilty of things like that myself when you have two or more junk machines and boss wants to get one working things that the factory never dreamed of may happen!

Bob/Ont

Get a pic of the fuel injection pump, New Scroll has pump on drive housing under hour meter, clean screen in sediment bowl. Fuel should be flowing from tank to bowl, if not clean out line. Pump to prime filter like your H. There is a big(15/16"?) hex plug with relief behind it on the pump, clean that too. Then bleed all 6 lines. Newer one with Sleeve Metering has pump inside the front of injection pump, check fuel flow to pump then prime.
Later Bob

spitzair

Thanks guys, sorry Nige, I omitted to say that I asked him for a serial number as well, kinda assumed that goes without saying... I'll see if I can get some pictures from him too but he's not computer savvy so not sure what we'll get there... I'll pass the serial number along as soon as I have it.

spitzair

Alright, I FINALLY got a serial number for the engine (but not the machine...) The machine is a 977L, and the engine S/N is 3N6755. And a picture of the old girl... Wasn't able to get pictures of anything else unfortunately, and it'll be a while before I can go look at the machine in person...

Attachments

• IMG_8492 (Small).JPG
    IMG_8492 (Small).JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_8495 (Small).JPG
    IMG_8495 (Small).JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 114

spitzair

So can somebody help me out here with a part number so I can get one of these pumps lined up please? I'm going to be very limited on time when I do get a chance to go there and would like to have a pump on hand if all the above suggestions don't pan out...
Thanks!

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
for new scroll transfer pump p/n is 4N4864 and gasket p/n is 7S2374 these pumps are serviceable and all parts are available(it is rare for these pumps to fail completely they can leak fuel either internal or external and are abut AU $1000 dollars
A classic replacement is available (about AU $313 ) p/n 242 3442
As bob said check your screens and filters first. also the rubber seals on the fuel bowl as they can perish and suck air

transfer pump.jpg