• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

977H pulled the trigger.

Bob Cowdery

Occupation
SAVING OLE YELLOW/ORANGE IRON
Finally found what I have been looking for.
Gave $5000 for it, not to far above scrap value.
Cat 977H lever steer. Yes I wanted the lever steer.
U/C is weak but useable. Not to far from home.
Left track is off but starts and sounds good.
Bucket works as it should.
Transmission drives forward and reverse. Spins the track that is still on. It's powershift.
A winch comes with it but not on it. Not really sure if it's for that machine but it's included.
Yes, I know it's old, I know U/C is EXPENSIVE.
Question, will parts from a 977D/E fit the H.
There is one sitting that the guy is going to scrap due to head issues.

sawmilleng

Photos of your new prize? Unh, maybe not right now...is everything buried in snow in Ohio? Not a bad deal at about 10 cents per pound!

Are you going to chase the other machine that the owner is going to scrap? I guess thats why you are wanting to know about parts interchangeability.

Sorry about the questions!! Digging out from snow up here in Canukistan with a D6D and 580B TLB. It would be cabin fever for sure without the machinery keeping me sane!!

Jon.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I couldn't say about what could fit. But if you can let some money sit still scrap should hold value from here. Sometimes a fellow can machine adapters to get you going.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
The 977H is quite a bit different from the 977D/E. The D/E is essentially a D6 9U with a loader on it, direct drive, D318 engine with likely a pup start. The 977H has a powershift transmission and runs a D333 engine. I don’t know if any undercarriage parts would interchange but from what little I do know is pretty much none of the engine and transmission stuff will... I hope you’ll enjoy your new toy as much as I enjoy mine, I have 2 myself, one lever steer and one pedal steer.

ChrisUK

Finally found what I have been looking for.
Gave $5000 for it, not to far above scrap value.
Cat 977H lever steer. Yes I wanted the lever steer.
U/C is weak but useable. Not to far from home.
Left track is off but starts and sounds good.
Bucket works as it should.
Transmission drives forward and reverse. Spins the track that is still on. It's powershift.
A winch comes with it but not on it. Not really sure if it's for that machine but it's included.
Yes, I know it's old, I know U/C is EXPENSIVE.
Question, will parts from a 977D/E fit the H.
There is one sitting that the guy is going to scrap due to head issues.
Good man ! Another 977 saved, we need a few pics
Cheers Chris

Bob Cowdery

Occupation
The 977H is quite a bit different from the 977D/E. The D/E is essentially a D6 9U with a loader on it, direct drive, D318 engine with likely a pup start. The 977H has a powershift transmission and runs a D333 engine. I don’t know if any undercarriage parts would interchange but from what little I do know is pretty much none of the engine and transmission stuff will... I hope you’ll enjoy your new toy as much as I enjoy mine, I have 2 myself, one lever steer and one pedal steer.
I went and look at the 977E. mainly looking for U/C parts. The rails look better than the H and the track tension springs look like new.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Did you measure the parts? Maybe make a sketch with measurements take a picture of it and post it. If you post some pictures it would be easier to help. Count the number of links on the rails they maybe shorter on the 977E.
-

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
The early 977s had D6 undercarriage parts. At some point before the H came out, Cat changed to D7 undercarriage. I don't know which series was the first to change. It was D or E. So check it out carefully before buying a parts machine. Hope this helps.

Bob Cowdery

Occupation
Did you measure the parts? Maybe make a sketch with measurements take a picture of it and post it. If you post some pictures it would be easier to help. Count the number of links on the rails they maybe shorter on the 977E.
-
The scrap machine isn't to far from home. I'll get more indepth once I get the H home. It's an hour and a half from home. Not bad but will be easier when it's sitting in the back yard. LOL