• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

'97 CAT 325BL bogging down under laod, tracking issues also

MW Trahan

I purchased this excavator about 1.5 years ago with the intention of using it. However, all my plans have changed.

Serial# 2JR00866

The unit cranks, starts, and runs great! The hydraulics are another issue. If I am using the stick and bucket the unit will bog down and blow a good amount of black smoke. Yes, fuel is good, filters are all new. If I try to split the tracks to turn it will also bog and kill if I stay in it. The travel speed will not switch from slow to high, it is currently stuck on the slow side. It will track full forward or reverse with no problems, but if you try to turn in either direction she will bog, blow smoke, and kill if you stay turning. The machine is still very strong, it will lift up our 12,000 lb pumps with no problems.

Where do I start? Is it a bypass valve not opening? Is it a stuck PRV? Could it be electrical, being that I can not switch my travel speed?

She does have 17,000 hours but is very tight all around. Unit was used to dig light weight materials.

MW Trahan

This machine is also for sale/trade as is or I will repair and then sell. I'm in the market for a tracked Skid steer of equal value with cab a/c and heat

Dozier Digging

I purchased this excavator about 1.5 years ago with the intention of using it. However, all my plans have changed.

Serial# 2JR00866

The unit cranks, starts, and runs great! The hydraulics are another issue. If I am using the stick and bucket the unit will bog down and blow a good amount of black smoke. Yes, fuel is good, filters are all new. If I try to split the tracks to turn it will also bog and kill if I stay in it. The travel speed will not switch from slow to high, it is currently stuck on the slow side. It will track full forward or reverse with no problems, but if you try to turn in either direction she will bog, blow smoke, and kill if you stay turning. The machine is still very strong, it will lift up our 12,000 lb pumps with no problems.

Where do I start? Is it a bypass valve not opening? Is it a stuck PRV? Could it be electrical, being that I can not switch my travel speed?

She does have 17,000 hours but is very tight all around. Unit was used to dig light weight materials.

I have a 98 cat 315 bl with the same exact problems I've been trying for 3 months to get it fixed with no luck if you happen to fix yours let me know what you found to be the problem

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
hi using stick and bucket kills it, turning kills it
what happens if you use the boom and bucket or stick and swing
Mark

Dozier Digging

Mine bogs down some digging dirt but if you try to dig a stump up it will kill it swings good . when traveling seems to be sluggish when you pull the lever to turn it tries to pull but doesnt you can pull the lever all the way either way and nothing and pulls engine rpm down to about half of full throttle but another thing mine smoke that bad just a little