• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

966G Towing

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Quite honestly the only one i can believe might cause your engine not to start is the oil pressure issue, and TBH I'm not even 100% sure that would stop it from starting.
However if you fix the Code on the oil pressure sensor (that's provided it's Active) and the engine still won't start then IMHO the lack of starting is nothing to do with Diagnostic Codes.

Delmer

Checking the voltage at the starter will give you a logical place to start. This thread is all over the road and both ditches.

Either the voltage will drop way too much because of bad batteries, or loose connections. Or the voltage will barely move because the solenoid is not connecting the starter, then you go from there.

Would have been better to check voltage before pulling the starter and introducing more uncertainty. The batteries probably needed to be warmed up to have any chance of starting.

jett01

The last time I checked the voltage it was 24.8 at the starter . At the batteries . At the master switch etc . I also brought the batteries in to a warm shop and charged and load tested . I took 2 4D batteries out with me the last time I was out there and hooked them in series for 24 volt and they put out 1050CCA a piece . I’m still waiting on the Cat Tech and one more note I would like to share . I ran into another equipment owner that has a the same engine and he has much the same problems . I haven’t talked to him since but he could not figure out why the machine would not turn over with a 24 volt boost . He said he was taking the starter off . The day I seen him I was having my starter tested and it tested good . I will let you guys know what the cat man says once he’s had a chance to do some testing . In the meantime I will do my best to stay out of the ditch on both sides of the road

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Do you have a turning tool? I watched a couple of Cat guys mess with a 25K series 992 for 3 days before I showed them the turning tool stowed on the engine and they figured out the engine was seized solid. They changed both starters, all 4 batteries and still did their best to fry the battery cables. The oil filters were full of metal and the oil was 3" overfull and smelled of diesel fuel... Ya think?
Oh, I got the job of installing a good used engine.

Delmer

I should have been more clear. Was the 24.8V with no load? Check the voltage at the starter with someone trying to start it. If that's OK, then check the other side of the solenoid while trying to start it again.

The way I see it, you're either going to find the voltage drops a lot because of a bad connection etc, or you're going to find the voltage doesn't move at all because the solenoid isn't connecting, then you figure out if the solenoid is getting it's signal voltage to turn on, or not.

If the starter tested good, and the voltage still drops but not too much, then you try to turn the engine over two turns to see what happens.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Do you have a turning tool? I watched a couple of Cat guys mess with a 25K series 992 for 3 days before I showed them the turning tool stowed on the engine and they figured out the engine was seized solid.

Well I know that was not the engine I worked on, because the one I came across that had that baring tool with the spacer left the shop with a plain plate over the hole and the barring tool is still in my tool box some 30 years later!

Have to wonder how someone would not realize the engine was stuck when they hit the starter. Even missing that I would have bench tested each starter maybe on 12 volts to see if one or both were bad.