• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

963B with blowby 9000 hrs. Advise pls

chrismatin

I bought a state owned 963B that has a fair amount of blowby, the machine has approx 9000. I bought the machine for a pretty discounted price, knowing it had this issue. Any suggestions on what route to take on correcting this? Or run it until to much loss of power & oil consumption? It's a 3116 Cat motor of course, don't know past history.

Thanks men!

jaluhn

How much are you going to use it? I personally would probably due an oil analysis and do a close check for any other serious issues (ie knock, low power, smoke, etc). If the oil comes back ok and the engine is otherwise sound It's probably okay to run for a while though I wouldn't want to work it too hard - be good for an occasional use or backup machine. Otherwise probably looking at motor work which will get real pricey real quick from what I understand.

Delmer

Yeah, I'd do an oil analysis on the old oil, change the oil unless it looks new, and if the new oil turns black quick, change it again. If it runs alright for several hours with no leaks, or knocks, then run the engine hard for a while, to let it know you're serious. Apparently that engine is rated 160HP in that loader, it's rated 170-250 or so in trucks, and way more than that in marine applications. So running it hard for a few hours at 160 HP isn't going to kill it unless it really wants to die.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
I have never been able to put my finger on blow-by. Some seem to last forever while others blow up within days. I think I would start looking for a re-man or good used to change out in short notice.

chrismatin

Yes it's clean, I extended it to blowout behind machine vs through radiator. Have already changed oil & filters, had Caterpillar cut oil filter open. They found just soot, no metal shavings/fragments. Machine sat unused for a year or 2, maybe more. Cat said may have rusted cylinders, I've only run it for approx 5-6 hours so far/around the shop. Any thoughts men?

Dickjr.

I'd run the heck out of it , keeping in mind to check oil , coolant and listen for noises. If its not guzzling oil keep on. I don't really believe in using additives. Good oil should be plenty.

Last edited:

chrismatin

Understood. You feel the blowby might be reduced over time, after putting it under a load. If it has been sitting for years?
Tk

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
I had a cummins 5.9 that had a lot of blow by, had to reroute the breather to get rid of fumes. Ran it for 3 years that way, 1400hrs or so. it never really used a lot of oil either. Keep in mind that a turbo charged engine provides positive air pressure to the cylinders. makes it hard to suck oil passed rings. it is possible to have blow by and not burn much oil.

Mine was a little down on power but never bothered. when it gets low on compression that it will be harder to start, but could run a long time. Or blow up tomorrow. Ha

JPV

Check out Fleetguard Enviroguard. It is a breather that separates the oil from the air and put the oil back in the crankcase. I don't know if you can get one in there or not but if it is running fine other than blow by it will solve the problem until it really has a problem. Maybe check your turbo, they can cause high crankcase pressure if the seals are bad. My vote would be to run it like has been said.

chrismatin

Understood. Will do! I'll put it to work. Would sitting for several years have anything to do, with this excessive blowby? Or just lack of proper maintenance, or just lucky.

Delmer

I've seen govt machines that have sat a while, or not had the oil changed in a long time, that improve with fresh oil and running normally (harder than they have been:D) . The rings sticking or not seating is about the only thing it can be, right?

chrismatin

It cranks fine, sounds good & feels good, starts smoking after a few minutes. How do tell if it's valve guides or something else? Some oil/blowby is coming out from around dip stick also. I've clean up machine throughly & changed all oils/filters. Tk

Heavey Metal

Pull the lid if it's valve guides there will be plenty of crud and soot around the valves.

You can usually move the valves side to side also