• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

960 mustang primary chain sprocket removal

Bullseye Beaver F.

Need tips on how to remove primary chain sprocket on a 960 mustang skid steer. Just acquired the machine and the manual is vague on the procedure.

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
There are 2 sprockets, little one on drive motor? or big one called "Cluster sprocket" big one has two sprockets made onto a single "cluster" which one are you trying to remove?

Attachments

• cluster.pdf
    670.6 KB · Views: 24

apetad

Occupation
Compact Construction Equipment Sales
Big one. The cluster sprocket. Down to getting shaft that goes thru sprockets out.The bearings are gone on it.
The shaft in the diagram three different styles of shaft retainers, the one at bottom of the page is the upgrade replacement, all others obsolete, figuring out which shaft is the fun part

Attachments

• Cluster.pdf
    870.3 KB · Views: 22

pmunderwood

If either of you guys are still active on forum-
I just bought a Mustang 960.
Cluster sprocket bearings are trashed - previous owner ran very low on oil.
I'm having trouble getting shaft removed.
Manual says-
Remove outer bolt (it was already broken), then drive shaft through to inside of machine.
Is this correct?
It is NOT cooperative
Help appreciated

Bullseye Beaver F.

Here is what I did. Lift boom up and securely brace it. Remove seat and metal plates on inside. And all the stuff in the way. Remove wheel. Then follow the manual. It's not an easy job but doable. Take a magnet and clean it out thoroughly before you replace it.

steve grant

TO pmunderwood and others. Im doing the same repair. Got it apart but need to find replacement parts. Do any of you have a source for the sprocket cluster and all the associated bearings and spacers?

pmunderwood

Hi Steve

I got my full set of parts about 2 weeks ago.
I've been too busy to even get back to my shop.
Hopefully have time tomorrow or Sunday.

Are you in Medford MA? or somewhere else?

I called several places, but finally got some great response and service from Mark
R.S. Rental Equipment Co., Inc P.O. BOX 350 Somerset,MA 02726 Tel: 508-672-1051 Fax: 508-677-4154 EMail: info@rsequipment.com

steve grant

Hey pmunderwood Thanks for the tip. Ill give Mark a call. Im on the west coast in Kirkland Wa.
Are you replacing the cluster on both sides? apetad's pdf looks like the sets are in pairs.

pmunderwood

I'm only replacing RIGHT side.
He sold me a single cluster sprocket, shaft, bearings, spacers... the whole setup.
The dummy I purchased machine from ran the oil very low (barely 1.5 gallons in chain case, specs are 4 gallons)
Other side is lower on oil but didn't seem to have any damage.

spbritton

This looks like a fairly recent thread.
Do either of you guys have a bead on a new 80HK chain, the big one between the axles? I had a cluster sprocket bearing failure and it took out my chain as well. I was able to find websites with all other pieces that I need, but unable to find anything for the chain. Thanks ahead for any input!

steve grant

I bought mine thru Applies Industrial Technologies in Everett Washington
(425) 259-5585.
The chain came from a specialty supplier in the area. I wasn't able to order direct from that supplier.
The tip about the chain came from a friend who is has and maintains heavy equipment. You could probably ask any dirt hauler/excavator in you area where they get their parts.

Other parts came from Tyler Rental in Tacoma Wa
(360) 748-3440
I expect Tyler can get the chain also.

steve grant

Applied industrial took 3 or 4 days to get the chain. I took the broken chain in so they could measure it. Since youre so close, give them a call. I asked for Scott

spbritton

Steve grant, do you remember how long the chain was? I was hoping to not pull the chain off of the back sprocket so I can use it to pull the new chain around. The old chain unfortunately broke in multiple places...

steve grant

Good idea re: using the old chain to pull the new chain around. It took forever to get the new one on. I no longer have the receipt. But I do have the old chain. I'll have to go by the yard to measure it. say tomorrow some time.

Bullseye Beaver F.

Do either of you guys have a bead on a new 80HK chain, the big one between the axles? I had a cluster sprocket bearing failure and it took out my chain as well. I was able to find websites with all other pieces that I need, but unable to find anything for the chain. Thanks ahead for any input!
Try ATS Clayton, Inc. Phone
513-860-2820. They are in Hamilton, Ohio.

steve grant

My old chain length is 129.25" the sales tech added a link making the replacement chain 130+" If its too long you may need to remove a link. We ran out of adjuster space before reaching the proper deflection /sag.
Our skid steer model is 960, serial # 3619292.