• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

96 L9000 m11

Old Doug

A buddys m 11 that he puts less than 100 mlies a year hauling hay died a couple times 3 years ago but restarted he took it to a shop they coudnt find any thing wrong it has been seting but started right up and ran 10 miles then next day it wouldnt start. I looked at it fuses are good but no fire to fuel shut off. Low coolant light is on. I have way to much going on but were to start?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
A buddys m 11 that he puts less than 100 mlies a year hauling hay died a couple times 3 years ago but restarted he took it to a shop they coudnt find any thing wrong it has been seting but started right up and ran 10 miles then next day it wouldnt start. I looked at it fuses are good but no fire to fuel shut off. Low coolant light is on. I have way to much going on but were to start?
Is it full of coolant? If it is the probe needs cleaning or replacement. Usually low coolant is only a derate, but who knows how this one is programmed. Also the M11 normally uses 2 ECM feeds from the batteries, were those the fuses you checked?

crane operator

I have a 1995 international 8100 with a m11, and its low coolant will shut the truck off. Had it happen right in the yard when I parked it on a slope with low coolant. Of course the first thing when it dies, I'm thinking fuel, not coolant, but it was the coolant.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I have a 1995 international 8100 with a m11, and its low coolant will shut the truck off. Had it happen right in the yard when I parked it on a slope with low coolant. Of course the first thing when it dies, I'm thinking fuel, not coolant, but it was the coolant.
My F800 will do that too. Even if its full it doesn't take much of a slope to the left to uncover the probe. Jumper wire to the rescue. It has a non electronic 7.8 liter Ford, but does have a decent engine protection system.

Old Doug

Is it full of coolant? If it is the probe needs cleaning or replacement. Usually low coolant is only a derate, but who knows how this one is programmed. Also the M11 normally uses 2 ECM feeds from the batteries, were those the fuses you checked?
Its full and it has 2 fuses by the ecm and 2 by the bats they were good and had fire to them. He was going to get a new probe if he dosent and i have time i will ohm probe in coolant and out. I could wright a book on coolant sencers and it wouldnt be a love story.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Its full and it has 2 fuses by the ecm and 2 by the bats they were good and had fire to them. He was going to get a new probe if he dosent and i have time i will ohm probe in coolant and out. I could wright a book on coolant sencers and it wouldnt be a love story.

The older Volvos used a two prong sensor with stainless probes. Those would build up a coating from the coolant, a few minutes cleaning them with scotchbrite and they were good to go again. Same thing with a lot of others. Peterbilt and Kenworth used some single wire probes... same thing. Clean them down to shiny metal.
Usually jumping the terminals together or to ground on a single wire probe will tell you if the probe is bad. Also if a single wire probe is in the radiator tank, check the ground strap on the radiator.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Celect I or II? Seen more bad ECM's on those M11's than any other engine. Had a series 1 throwing a code that didn't exist according to the Cummins tech line.

crane operator

I was getting a bad injector code the only time I had problems with my m11. Swapped injectors hole to hole and the problem stayed at #5. So I knew it wasn't injector itself.

I sent my ecm off to a guy who checked it all out (found him on the internet), and he repotted any bad connections. It was around 600-800 if I remember right. Cummins wanted over $3000 for a new ecm, plus another $350 or so to "flash" it to my truck.

After looking at my ecm, he repotted it, and told me that while I had a couple connections that were getting bad, he didn't think any were my real issue.

My issue ended up being a bad connection in the wiring harness between the inside the valve cover harness, and the harness from there to the ecm. I didn't try to fix the connection, I just replaced both harnesses.

Cummins wanted me to replace ECM, flash it, replace both wiring harnesses, and "while you are there", just do all the injectors too. It was over $6,000 worth of parts if I did all of that, which is approaching truck value. I ended up with paying the guy to "fix" my ecm, and the two harnesses.