• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955L - Is this why my parking brake isnt working?

rnexus

Seems to steer just fine left and right. Brake pedal needs to be pushed in far to work, but I haven't tested it thoroughly enough. Parking brake does not work. Doesn't seem to be a linkage problem.

Any ideas what that debris is from? What kind of repairs am I looking at? Really want the parking brake to work since I'm on hilly land.

Attachments

• 20240213_221215.jpg
    20240213_221215.jpg
    936.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240213_221210.jpg
    20240213_221210.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21

rnexus

Looks like brake band material, but it flat, and has no curve? Considering what I know about the previous ownership, and the amount of dirt / type of dirt covering the filter cap, it's very likely no one has removed the screen after 2005.

Attachments

• 20240214_092459.jpg
    20240214_092459.jpg
    614.4 KB · Views: 10

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
That broken piece looks to be about the width of a brake lining, so it wouldn’t be curved if it broke off across the brake band. Certainly looks like brake lining to me and that the chances are good you are headed into the back end of that tractor sooner rather than later.

rnexus

Thanks for the info. It seems to steer fine, and the steering uses the brake bands, correct?

Do you think the brakes just need to be adjusted to get the parking brake to work?

rnexus

Is there any way to get a visual on the brake lining and wear on it without taking everything apart? 1971 85j7889 955l

fest777

Occupation
opp/mecanix
there are some top cover windows the steering adjust covers come to mind, near the rear of case could take them off and look down into brake band area, your only out of a few gaskets !!!

rnexus

Thanks for the suggestion. I did that but I couldn't see anything, even with a special camera that can look into pipes. The bands are just too far down with too many obstacles above them. I talked to an older Cat tech a few days ago and he told me basically I'm just going to have to wait until the bands fail. I wasn't too thrilled to hear that. I find it hard to believe that Cat would design something like that where you can't visually inspect the bands or know when they need to be replaced. A simple side window on the case would have solved this.

I've read that you don't want the rivets to wear into the drums.

tctractors

The adjusters fail to adjust when the bands are knacker jobs, on the top face of the main case below the fuel tank you will see 2 caps held down with 3 bolts in each cap, the adjusters are under these caps.