• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955L Crankshaft sleeves or no sleeves

Bryant_955L

I was looking at my motor manual, and I noticed that it shows a set of sleeves on the crankshaft. (Under the crank shaft seals and they are called wear sleeves) I am confused because the motor I pulled out did not have any of these sleeves. I am replacing my motor with a different motor (long block). My question is when do you need sleeves and should I install them on this new Long Block motor? I think if I don't install them my new motor will leak. Need help or suggestions on how to install them as well?

Bob/Ont

If you go to cat the rear crank seal should change up to a Hydrodynamic seal with sleeve. DO NOT take the seal and sleeve apart, install as is. You need the proper installation tool to seat it. The front will be a regular lip seal and sleeve.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I was looking at my motor manual, and I noticed that it shows a set of sleeves on the crankshaft. (Under the crank shaft seals and they are called wear sleeves) I am confused because the motor I pulled out did not have any of these sleeves. I am replacing my motor with a different motor (long block). My question is when do you need sleeves and should I install them on this new Long Block motor? I think if I don't install them my new motor will leak. Need help or suggestions on how to install them as well?
If you're putting in a "new" long block it should have the proper seals already.
If it's a used long block then yes replace them. If the replacement long block has the sleeves you will need a tool to remove the sleeve before installing the new seal.
You might want to take the long block to a local dealer and have them replace the seals for you. It shouldn't take much time.

Last edited: