• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955K drive questions/ suggestions

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
yes was just going to say what wagspe said :) Also rotate the bevel gear assembly a dozen times while doing the preload so the rollers actually 'seat' too. I always set the backlash up somewhere near where it should be while doing the preloads then set it right afterwards. and yes same amount of pinion shims is always a good starting point. Hope you resealed the final drive pinion flanges while you where in there, as is only another half days work:)

wagspe208

Good tip to rotate the bevel gear assembly a few times.
I spent most of the week chasing broads and drinking. LOL...
So, tomorrow, I will check backlash.
I did NOT do the pinion flanges. I thought some special tool was required to pull the pinon flanges off the splines??? I can always go back alittle bit. Not like I am tons ahead anyway.
Wags

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Hiya wags
Well yeah shelias and beer has got to be waaaay more fun than machinery; but same old scene teets tyres and tracks, they all cost ya money :drinkup
yes you need a 20 ton hyd puller [have used a bolt tho] to pull off the flange and same to push back on to 15 ton. suppose bottom line here is if your final drive oil levels were,nt 'growing' your ok, seals not leaking.
Just when your that 'deep' into machinery bowels it pays to cover all bases; just my 10 cents worth anyway.
cheers from kiwiland merv :drinkup

gpap123

Occupation
Civil Engineer - Contructor
Nice job and nice pics!
I also have to replace the brakes to my 955.... Also the left brake stacks when it is pushed

wagspe208

Well, steering clutch assembly in place. Lash is .007 to .008ish, so plenty good.
Patternn is, well, ok I think. I had to remove 2 shims to get it here. It was really heavy at the toe when I threw it in.
Wags

Attachments

• pattern.jpg
    pattern.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 283
  • pinionlash.jpg
    pinionlash.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 278

wagspe208

So, bevel gear, steering clutch, brake assembly all back together. Just add oil and it is ready to test.

Let's toss around this trans thing real quick before I throw it all back together.....
So, trans seems like it doesn't want to prime..... after it picks up oil, runs fine.. I don't believe its down on power, etc.(it will turn the tracks while pushed up against a tree, etc) So, is it possible I have an air leak on the inlet side... cold oil, wants to draw air instead of oil? I dont' remember it doing this before I put it under water. Winter, so freeze cracking something on the inlet side of the pump is possible.
From the parts manual it looks like fluid enters the pickup tube from the bottom of the trans, travels through the screen filter to the pump, then through pump etc. Is there any check valve in the system? Meaning to keep the screen filter from draining down when shut off? I will yank off the belly pan again (as I am washing, etc) and can remove the tube from trans to filter, inspect for cracks, etc. Anything else? Obviously I can yank the pump.... but since after it primes it seems to be ok..... I want to (want really bad) exclude the pump.
Wags

HATCHEQUIP

sounds like your on track its either sucking air or the pump is getting just enough wear that it doesn't want to pick up and yes a worn pump acts like this, not wanting to pickup and when it does it works ok. try replacing the orings on the strainer top and on the lines

wagspe208

sounds like your on track its either sucking air or the pump is getting just enough wear that it doesn't want to pick up and yes a worn pump acts like this, not wanting to pickup and when it does it works ok. try replacing the orings on the strainer top and on the lines
Ah, so worn may be my issue also. And, since I am no real operator, I still may be down on power to tracks, but just don't know better?
I am replacing all the sealing o rings as I go. I didi that on the steering clutch lines/ and gaskets. Cheap, and I hate **** leaking all over.

Wags

OldandWorn

Ah, so worn may be my issue also. And, since I am no real operator, I still may be down on power to tracks, but just don't know better?
I am replacing all the sealing o rings as I go. I didi that on the steering clutch lines/ and gaskets. Cheap, and I hate **** leaking all over.

Wags

As long as the clutches are not slipping and the tracks spin against a solid object it doesn't much matter.

HATCHEQUIP

the pump can be worn enough that it doesn't like to pick up oil but once it does it will have enough pressure to keep the clutches from slipping but remember while its waiting to pick up oil the lube system is waiting allso

wagspe208

Well, I started up the piece yesterday. I ran it briefly... no tank on yet, no fwd/ rev controls, so just operated them by hand at the trans. It primed and moved pretty quick.... I could actually hear air sucking around the filter area (for the trans), so O-rings on order. I believe (hopefully) that the combo of 30wt oil, in the colder months, and leaking o rings that is my issue. I will know in a week or so.
Wags

wagspe208

I finally got back to this old dog yesterday. I orderd all the o-rings for the filter assembly to trans, and trans pick up tube to filter housing. maybe 10 ish. BINGO!
I will throw it back together and start tearing up stuff.
Wags

wagspe208

This thing RUNS ITS BALLS OFF!
Pinion... not making noise (yay)
Trans immediately starts moving,... (slow when cold, but I'd assume this is normal.... I also don't go past 1/4 throttle till it gets a little engine temp)
Steers... turns... runs... YAY
Thanks for the help!
Hydraulics may be a little weak, but I'll start another thread.
Wags

OldandWorn

This thing RUNS ITS BALLS OFF!
Pinion... not making noise (yay)
Trans immediately starts moving,... (slow when cold, but I'd assume this is normal.... I also don't go past 1/4 throttle till it gets a little engine temp)
Steers... turns... runs... YAY
Thanks for the help!
Hydraulics may be a little weak, but I'll start another thread.
Wags

Good to hear! :drinkup