• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955k bucket won’t lift

dselman

I’m looking at buying a cat 955 track loader to clear some trees out. The current owner says that it runs and drives good but the bucket won’t lift. I asked if it would tilt and he says he wasn’t sure. My question is does the bucket and the drive share the same hydraulic pump and what could be some problems to look out for in general

fest777

Occupation
opp/mecanix
no they do not share same pump , check forward and back if no go could be drive coupling , 955 are notorious shearing pucks , there are 4 of them at the flywheel to converter flange, fest

dselman

I haven’t had a chance to go look at it yet. But he claims it still moves fine. If it does move would it be likely that the pump just went out. And if so where is the pump for the bucket and how big of a job is it to change it?

fest777

Occupation
opp/mecanix
is there oil in the hydraulic tank ? ,there are test ports on the whole hydraulic system, take the serial # and see if someone can walk you throught the pressure test,a manual is a little pricey since your considering purchase,you might pull the floor board and make sure the pucks are in place, pumps rarely gust quit they get weak with age, the pump is on the left side about even the bell housing, you will see 1 large steel line and a smaller one coming from the hydraulic tank to the pump. it faces toward the radiator ,i'am pretty sure the large line is suction you can't miss them, fest

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Best suggestion if you don't know much about them is to find someone who does and take them with you to look at the machine. Whether this involves paying the person or not is up to you. This is a machine somewhere around 50 years old or more by now.

To confirm what fest said above.......
Transmission & hydraulic system use 2 different pumps.
Hydraulic pump is mounted on the torque converter so if the coupling pucks had failed the machine would also have no drive in addition to the hydraulic problem.
It's important to confirm if the bucket tilt works or not. If it does that would seem to rule out the implement hydraulic pump.