• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955 l oil leak around turbo somewhere

empty pockets

After my hi-lift warms up and at full throttle it smoke blows out the front. I take off side panel by turbo and that is where it is originating from. There is small oil drops between turbo and the round housing but can’t figure out where. Is oil from a bad seal, hole in housing or etc. what are the common causes? I would really appreciate any and all suggestions. Looks like turbo intake bolts could be the worst removal job ever. Rusted and pitted. Thanks for your imput

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Oil can leak between turbo centre cartridge and side pieces. The question is whether the oil is coming from the exhaust, ( cylinder dumping oil in exhaust ) or from Turbo to side housing leak. Have to get turbo off to find out if it is coming from cylinders.
Hope this helps.
Simon C

empty pockets

Oil can leak between turbo centre cartridge and side pieces. The question is whether the oil is coming from the exhaust, ( cylinder dumping oil in exhaust ) or from Turbo to side housing leak. Have to get turbo off to find out if it is coming from cylinders.
Hope this helps.
Simon C
Thanks for your input, so if oil is coming from the cylinders it’s basically yard art. My oil pressure is great, it doesn’t smoke out of the muffler, has great power, so I am hoping it’s the turbo. If it is the turbo leaking I guess that means I need a new turbo? And if the oil is coming from cylinders should I find oil at turbo connection port when it is taken off? How will I tell if it is coming from cylinder, do I turn over engine with turbo off? Or will that damage something. Thanks again for your help

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
If you pull the exhaust manifolds off, the cylinder that is dumping wet into the exhaust will have a soaked port. If you pull only turbo off and exhaust manifold is dry at the manifold to turbo gasket joint then you know problem is with turbo.
Simon C

Reactions: DB2

empty pockets

If you pull the exhaust manifolds off, the cylinder that is dumping wet into the exhaust will have a soaked port. If you pull only turbo off and exhaust manifold is dry at the manifold to turbo gasket joint then you know problem is with turbo.
Simon C
So after multiple mini air tools, cutoffs, Dremel cutoff, air chisel with pointed end to drive out bolts out of the four holes that held the turbo to exhaust and 8 hours later the turbo is off. There is no oil at exhaust port to turbo connection. So from your wise imput it must be the turbo. The turbine propeller has been digging into housing also. So anyway I am going to order a aftermarket turbo if you think that would be ok. It’s 516.00 half the price of Catipillar. I will clean air filter, change oil and clean air tubes before install. I really need your imput, I only bought this to build my lake, well the lake is done so I won’t use it a lot. Could the aftermarket turbo last for me? Thanks for all your advice Simon C

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
The aftermarket turbo could work if it was built properly, prelubed before start up, and all tensioning clamps tapped lightly with a small hammer all around to make sure they are properly seated. This needs to be done multiple times on some turbos . This will ensure that one housing does not get torqued sideways during load and grenade into thousands of pieces. Could last 5000 hours or 5 minutes. Depends on many factors. And yes the marks on the housing prove the problem is in the turbo, Especially since the manifold is dry.
Hope this helps. Simon C