• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

953C with a 6 way blade

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
in terms of the ash at the plant your still better off with the bucket. i spent all of this past saturday stock piling ashes, pushing and spreading them for fill in the old cell as well. i couldnt imagine using a dozer.

we also have "backwash" comming from a water treatment plant. its used to cap off the landfill cell. the contractor doing it has a 953c at the plant with a 320 hoe. at the land fill were alos using a 953c to spread it and maintain grade slope for run off.

dirtleg

I would not find much use for tracks but could have used a lozer several times. I turned a bucket around on a PC 220 excavator to put 57# stone behind a 20' poured wall.Would not dump straight down but could shake clean.Worked like it I knew what I was doing.

Matthew

Occupation
Carpenter
So did anyone ever find out where you can find one of these... not on e bay

tkoden

Bringing this one back from the dead. We are looking into doing this with our 953C. We don't do a lot of dozer work so we can't justify the additional cost of a D5 or D6 but, if I could have a blade that I could swap out in a couple of hrs and get 90% of the efficiency of a D5 I would be happy.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Not certain how you expect to swap a loader to a dozer, frames for a dozer are designed to transfer loads, side and headlong to the tractor frame, shovel frames are strong but not designed in the same reference. I can see adding a QD siz way blade on a loader frame much as buckets are done but doubt 90% efficiency of a D5 will ever happen.

I have a MP bucket on my old Allis, can use it open and cut similar to a dozer but stays within the width of rail unlike dozer blades spread quite a bit wider, I have no six way angling ability so cannot pick side to deliver spoil just straight line shove and that fills the back wall of the bucket pretty quick. Rails are different, loader shoes are designed for pushing to an extent but are more for pivoting with less strain to truck frames and lower rollers with a full shovel bucket and at speed, basically designed for slip. Closest I have seen on a loader is a 4/1 or MP bucket.

Twisted

Maybe get a 4in1??? I would LOVE a track loader but I work in too many soft conditions. I need LGP 75% of the time so a loader just doesn't make sense. Come on Powerball!
You can do a lot with a straight blade but I've learned tilt is a must for grading sooooo.... I'd love to see your set-up if it happens.
Good luck.

Dickjr.

I think you should be able to just use the bucket and get about any task done. The time to change back and forth , you could just do it all with the bucket. A smaller grade dozer works real good with a track loader if need be or even a tractor with a grader box.

JD8875

I think the six way blade theory on a 953 would be like the skid steer blades on a bigger scale, a joke. I'm with DickJr I think by the time you swap them back and forth you could do what you needed with the bucket. A 953 with a good operator is a very useful tool. They can push, carry, cut, grade, haul, about anything. I'm not exactly a fan of a 4 in 1 either though. They are terrible dozers, they have a reduced capacity, extra weight, terrible sight lines.... The thing they do best is snatch out small trees and the occasional rock.

Just my thoughts
John

tkoden

The reason we are looking at the 6 way is we have to reshape 1 mile of road. Normally we would just do it with the 953 but the road is only 9'- 10' wide so there really isn't much room to do anything but go forward and backward.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Before I'd invest in some heavy architecture for a loader I would look at purchase of a older road grader, simpler, safer bet and designed for the purpose proposed.

tkoden

A grader is on our list too. The problem is half of the road is between 20% and 40% slope so a grader is going to have a hard time.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I don't have any experience with a 953 but I do have some experience with 977, 973 and 963B that had blades on them. None of them were 6 way blades though. They were mainly used for building terraces. One problem with putting a blade on a loader is traction. Basically need to put single bar grouser pads on them to get adequate production from them. Just my $.02

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
I have a 953C with a Balderson quick change bucket, straight blade and forks. It is very handy when you do not have a dozer and can be changed in less than 3 minutes to any attachment. The blade will not do what a dozer will but not far behind it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Nothing really matches as a attachment for replacement of a dozer set up, 10' or 12' wide 6 way angle blade is hard to match for grade function. No add on blade will be over 8' while will be straight shot limited.