• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

953 over heated would like to rebuild it need advise

Skyhookdutch

Guys so I had a stick find it’s way up into the engine compartment and knocked the heater core line valve off the lower coolant hose and upper heater core valve as well. Well it drained the entire system and over heated the engine. The cat indicator board doesn’t work on my machine and I have a manual water temp and oil pressure gauge on the right side. Unfortunately I didn’t catch it running hot till I went to back up and seen the steam coming out the doors. I fixed the broken valves, filled the system back up and fired it up and took her to the house. Well today I went to start her and she was hydro locked. I kept bumping the starter and she puked coolant out the exhaust and fired up....... I had just listed it for sale last week as I was done with her on my farm. I went to do a favor for my neighbor in his cattle field when this happened. So my shop mechanic at work that helps me on my stuff says let’s pull the head and get it checked out first. In my heart of hearts I would like to in frame it. She would use a little oil and had blow by. Had great oil pressure. Still does. I’m not getting oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil pan. Just coolant in a cylinder and higher pressures in the radiator.
So my question for you gurus is. Any suggestions for in frame kits and possible a complete head? I did a google search and there seems to be a handful out there after market. And number one choices from y’all experts? Buy the way I have a 1986 953 it’s a 20Z serial number............ Thanks Dutch

Attachments

• 697338A8-560D-40ED-AC0B-C92DE3FE8E52.jpeg
    697338A8-560D-40ED-AC0B-C92DE3FE8E52.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28

Dave Neubert

Most likely a cracked head the 3204 is not a sleeved engine. I would not just hone cyls. and install rings pull engine have bored and resleeved to standard then put back with 3 ring pistons

Welder Dave

It could be bored without sleeves too to save a little money. My 3204 was bored .010" over with IPD 3 ring pistons and haven't had any problems with it being bored.

Welder Dave

IPD 3 ring pistons and I think other parts were also IPD. Cat doesn't offer 3 ring pistons. It was done by a large independent shop that back in the 50's maybe into the early 60's was the Cat dealer.

Skyhookdutch

Tore the top end off today. #2 cylinder combustion area is pitted and has a crack. Looks to be a story in this engine as well. #4 cylinder has valve imprints on top of the piston. Hence the head being a replacement already is my guess. No damage to the exhaust valve that’s in there now. So A old wound. The cylinder that’s cracked is pitted pretty bad but the cylinder wall looks good. So someone may have run it hot and cracked it before I bought it and it sat with the piston topped out in the cylinder. My guess maybe they put some sealant in it and sent it to auction. Fast forward to me buying it last December. She’s run great since she came to the farm. Till I screwed It up. My shop mechanic at work has a 3208 that was in a truck and ran great but was hit. They pulled the engine and junked the truck. He told me to take it. So I’m going to pull a head on Monday and drop it at the machine shop and have them check it out and do any Necessary work to it. And get a Cat too end gasket kit.

Attachments

• DBBC6670-E826-4D1F-92F5-1BDD5D0E3FC2.jpeg
    DBBC6670-E826-4D1F-92F5-1BDD5D0E3FC2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23

Dave Neubert

are the valve marks clean you need to check wrist pin they are known to nock them out and check piston protrusion I have had to mill some off the top of pistons before

Skyhookdutch

are the valve marks clean you need to check wrist pin they are known to nock them out and check piston protrusion I have had to mill some off the top of pistons before
I’ll snap a picture in a little bit. But the valve marks shows that it was loose when it hit, cause the marks over lap probably 1/2 inch or more in a couple directions.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have the rod checked for being bent, does not take much for a Hydro'd engine to flex one enough to ruin it, that head gives appearance of eating water for a serious amount of time. Piston I would not even put back in.