• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

931B steering and hydraulic leaks

Welder Dave

Just when you think you have all your equipment working good, something goes wrong. I'm trying to get a bunch of stuff done before I go in for a stem cell transplant on Oct. 25 and of course some leaks appeared that have idled the machine. At first glance I thought it was just the left steering valve leaking a little. My first question is will oil spray out if the steering valve is leaking? The whole top of the differential housing is wet but none of the hoses appear to be leaking and it looks like a small pool directly under the steering valve. Hoping I can just put new seals/O-rings in as the steering valves were rebuilt about 1000 hours ago. I'm pretty sure the steering valves run off the transmission oil. It's a little low but not really low.
The other leak I discovered when taking the floor board out. It was pretty wet where the pressure line goes over top of the suction line on the right side of the firewall. I think it's the main hyd. line coming off the pump. Pump made a little noise when lifting the loader so I left it alone and moved the machine about 120ft. to get it in the shop. It's a piston pump so I'm wondering if it would have less flow when none of the valves are actuated? I don't want to wreck the pump but getting the machine in shop was kind of a priority so it's not out in the weather and possibly snow coming soon. Looks like I need to sacrifice some new oil to get the loader raised up and blocked so I can get the side panels off and see exactly where it's leaking. I was going to change this hose when I had the engine out but the shop claimed it was a 4 wire hose and a little scrape isn't worth worrying about. I think the leak started off really small on Saturday and got bigger in a hurry when I went out today. I topped the oil off today so it was in the sight glass and now the reservoir is pretty much empty. I think it might be a pain to change the hose too. I guess I'll buy a pail of oil to get the loader up and then probably have to buy at least 2 more pails. Why did it have to happen now? Murphy's law I guess. Now I have to try and get it fixed while I'm still mostly able. I have no idea how I'll feel or if I'll even be up for fixing anything after the transplant. I'll be in the cancer center for 15 days or so depending on how I react. My immunity system is going to basically be wiped out when they do the transplant. 6 month's from now I have to get all the vaccines I got as a kid again. Would be nice if it gave me kid energy again but I think that's wishful thinking. Darn equipment!

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
Hello Dave , sorry to hear about your trouble , hope you are doing well now , a small leak can add up quick especially if it's on a pressure line. take it easy , I know it's hard to do for a working man .