• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

930G manual?

Tenwheeler

Any online manuals out there? The real deal book looks expensive and I have to wait.

We are pulling the engine. Hope it will come out with the fuel tank, charge air cooler and and the frame work around it in place. Any information on a manual and or R&R the engine is greatly appreciated. Wonder how the flex plate-torque converter is set up.

Tenwheeler

KIMG1741.jpeg KIMG1741.jpeg KIMG1747.jpeg Thanks for the info. That helped with the torque converter bolts.
We did squeeze it out with the charge air cooler, frame work, radiator and fan assy in place. We did have the balancer and head off it that matters.
This engine is in extremely good shape inside except for a couple of rockers and 8 bad valves. Question the lifter wear but they are difficult to see at this time.
Found out the number on the filter is 19,000 hours not 14,000. That is impressive. Looks like it could have gone 10,000 more before starting fluid How many hours does anyone have on one of these?
Machine number cat0930gjtwr01246 engine 3056e ar 254-2236 ser# cpt18530
I will need torque specs if you could get that for me posrepair2013. I appreciate that.

Tenwheeler

Did you remove the paint from the cylinder head.?
Because if you didn’t then IMO it’s not the original head from the engine, and if that’s the case then what else might someone have been into in those 19,000 hours.? Thinking out loud.
You are pretty quick there. I was just going by what I was told. Then trying to keep up with phones and employees at the same time. I still should have caught that.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
When I saw your 19k hours number I almost had a coffee/keyboard interface. Even at 14k hours an engine of that size should be well-tired and showing serious signs of wear. It's not like it's a 3516. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Smart phones with cameras are everyone's friend these days. No hiding place if someone has one of those in his pocket.
Shout out if you need anything else.

Tenwheeler

Nige I have to back up a bit. The owner of this machine is probably a bit older than us. People want to blame old timers and such. He being 20% older than me probably remembers 20% better than I.
The clean spots on the head are where the manifold gaskets were at. The rest of it shown where it was painted black or was dirty as the block.KIMG1748.jpeg

Nige

Shows that I shouldn't try to look at photos on a phone :oops::oops: ...... I could've sworn that head was painted black at first glance.
However even looking at the photos on a big screen it looks for all the world as though it's rusty in between the exhaust manifold mountings - like it never had paint on it in the first place.

Tenwheeler

I need a little help here now please! Have all our rebuild parts in but have been a bit slow to tear it completely down. Wanted to be sure we put the timing back in the correct place. Our info is limited but looks incorrectly timed. Pump has only been on about 500 hr and I have paperwork.
My info shows a timing pin at the front gears for the cam, crank and injection pump. We see no place for the cam and crank timing pins however it says the pump times at TDC. We marked the flywheel before and after TDC with a dial indicator. Then marked the middle for true TDC. Timing pin hole KIMG1759.jpeg KIMG1761.jpeg KIMG1764.jpeg for pump is not in alignment?
Would appreciate an experienced second opinion. Also need torque specs and clearances. Thanks all!

Nige

Cylinder Head
upload_2020-1-24_14-30-53.png
Use the following procedure in order to tighten the bolts for the cylinder head:
Put clean engine oil on the threads of the bolts. The bolts are tightened in the numerical sequence that is shown in the Illustration.
1. Tighten the bolts to the following torque. ... 110 N·m (80 lb ft)
2. Repeat the procedure in Step 1 to ensure that all of the bolts are tightened to the correct torque.
3. Use the numerical sequence that is shown in Illustration 1 to tighten the bolts for the additional torque-turn specification.
4. Tighten the short bolts (S) for an additional 150 degrees (2.5 flats).
5. Tighten the medium length bolts (M) for an additional 180 degrees (3.0 flats).
6. Tighten the long bolts (L) for an additional 210 degrees (3.5 flats).

Tenwheeler

Would anyone have a diagram for the injection pump and ECM wiring?
I thank this is a VP30 pump. A VP44 pump on a Dodge Cummings will run at low ldel with a power and ground wire connected to the pump, no ECM connection. Will this do the same?

Tenwheeler

This machine runs about 10 PSI at the secondary filter head when running. I thank that is a little low? Anyone have any specs on that?