• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

924G vs. WA200PT-5

southerno1

Any input on these machines? I'm going to get one or the other. I need aux. hydraulics, and both usually are factory equipped. I think the Komatsu has a hydrostatic transmission. Would love to know how the hydrostat has performed since it hit the market. Cat has a faster cycle time and more fluid capacities, but is about a ton heavier. I think both would suffice, but would love some input. Currently using a TCM E 830. Thanks!!

sultan

Any input on these machines? I'm going to get one or the other. I need aux. hydraulics, and both usually are factory equipped. I think the Komatsu has a hydrostatic transmission. Would love to know how the hydrostat has performed since it hit the market. Cat has a faster cycle time and more fluid capacities, but is about a ton heavier. I think both would suffice, but would love some input. Currently using a TCM E 830. Thanks!!

Hystat transmissions are a bit more fuel efficient than non-lockup converter drive powershifts (like in the 924G) but they don't last as long as powershifts. A hystat usually needs rebuilding/replacement at around 7-8k hours while a powershift usually goes 15k+ hours without issue. I'd myself pick the CAT over the Komatsu, but they're both alright.

southerno1

Thanks Sultan. Another question about operation of these, or any wheel loaders....we operate mainly on flat concrete surface loading very light material(peanuts) only about 450 lbs./cubic yd. Are wheel loaders in this circumstance made to change directions without using much, if any brakes?

Lee-online

The Cat can, to a certain extent, and with the throttle lock and the FNR switch on the loader joy stick they are very easy to operate.

From the omm
Changing from low speed to high speed at full engine speed is possible. Directional changes at full engine speed are possible. However, if you are changing direction, reducing the machine speed and/or braking the machine is recommended. This will provide operator comfort and the maximum service life of the power train components

sultan

Thanks Sultan. Another question about operation of these, or any wheel loaders....we operate mainly on flat concrete surface loading very light material(peanuts) only about 450 lbs./cubic yd. Are wheel loaders in this circumstance made to change directions without using much, if any brakes?

Yes, as Lee-online said, you can change directions without braking on the cat but you shouldn't change directions without stopping on the Komatsu. When I run my loader, I usually change directions without braking, but I do release the throttle before I shift to make the direction change smoother and to reduce the impact on the machine. The 924G should be a nice machine, CAT makes very good loaders.

coalrulz

Yes, as Lee-online said, you can change directions without braking on the cat but you shouldn't change directions without stopping on the Komatsu. When I run my loader, I usually change directions without braking, but I do release the throttle before I shift to make the direction change smoother and to reduce the impact on the machine. The 924G should be a nice machine, CAT makes very good loaders.

What Sultan says about stopping before shifting on the Komatsu is completely inaccurate. Here is the text from Komatsu WA200PT-5 operation and maintenance manual.

OPERATION

When changing direction between FORWARD and REVERSE, check that the new direction of travel is safe. There is a blind spot behind the machine, so be particu-larly careful when changing direction to travel in reverse. FORWARD and REVERSE when traveling at high speed. FORWARD and REVERSE, depress the brake to reduce the travel speed sufficiently, then change the direction of travel. (Max. speed for changing direction: 13 km/h (8.1 MPH))

There is no need to stop the machine even when switching between FOR-WARD and REVERSE. Place directional lever (1) in the desired position. Position (a): FORWARD Position N: NEUTRAL Position (b): REVERSE Check that the backup alarm sounds when the directional lever is set to REVERSE. If the backup alarm does not sound, please contact your Komatsu distributor for repairs.

sultan

What Sultan says about stopping before shifting on the Komatsu is completely inaccurate. Here is the text from Komatsu WA200PT-5 operation and maintenance manual.

OPERATION

When changing direction between FORWARD and REVERSE, check that the new direction of travel is safe. There is a blind spot behind the machine, so be particu-larly careful when changing direction to travel in reverse. FORWARD and REVERSE when traveling at high speed. FORWARD and REVERSE, depress the brake to reduce the travel speed sufficiently, then change the direction of travel. (Max. speed for changing direction: 13 km/h (8.1 MPH))

There is no need to stop the machine even when switching between FOR-WARD and REVERSE. Place directional lever (1) in the desired position. Position (a): FORWARD Position N: NEUTRAL Position (b): REVERSE Check that the backup alarm sounds when the directional lever is set to REVERSE. If the backup alarm does not sound, please contact your Komatsu distributor for repairs.

Thanks for correcting me. I presumed that the shock load of a direction change without stopping would be bad for a hydrostatic drive because it is direct drive from the hydraulic motor to the wheels, and you'd jerk the hydraulic motor. Perhaps Komatsu employs a system of automatic braking on direction change or some gradual switching of direction.

southerno1

Thanks for all the replies. I certainly have no intention of cramming the loader into the opposite direction at full throttle. It would be a case of say, backing up, slowing down, and then changing direction. Would like to be able to save that amount of wear on the brakes. up to this point, we've been using the brakes before changing gears. Also, as of today, I have made a deal to buy the 924G. Hoping for the best, and looking forward to running it.

sultan

Thanks for all the replies. I certainly have no intention of cramming the loader into the opposite direction at full throttle. It would be a case of say, backing up, slowing down, and then changing direction. Would like to be able to save that amount of wear on the brakes. up to this point, we've been using the brakes before changing gears. Also, as of today, I have made a deal to buy the 924G. Hoping for the best, and looking forward to running it.

Good for you :) You should like the 924G, they're nice loaders. Technically, you can even change directions at full throttle, but I would advise against it. Changing directions without breaking after releasing the throttle is definitely fine on powershifts, I do it all the time on my CAT loader. I would avoid changing directions while moving and going straight into first gear though, it's a bit rough. In second gear, it's fine.

How I go though gears in a typical loading cycle:
1. Shift into 1st gear forward, ram the pile, and fill the bucket.
2. Release the throttle, brake, shift into 2nd gear reverse, and back out of the pile.
3. Flick the gearshift into 2nd forward without braking but at low throttle, and then do whatever needs to be done with the load.

Diagonal Brace

wot he sed

Sultan offers good advise but with a G series you can leave the shifter in 2nd and use the downshift button on the front of the joystick. Also the FNR toggle on the stick is very handy once one gets used to it.

sultan

Sultan offers good advise but with a G series you can leave the shifter in 2nd and use the downshift button on the front of the joystick. Also the FNR toggle on the stick is very handy once one gets used to it.

Yeah, on a G series, you get some niceties that make it even easier. I've run a 924G for a bit, but my own machine that I run all the time is an F series that wasn't equipped with the autoshift option, so I don't have the luxury of a kickdown button.

southerno1

Very much looking forward to the FNR and kick-down, although the machine will likely push into the pile of peanuts easily in 2nd gear. One of the newer machines I looked at had the 3rd valve control a roller on the joy stick. Now that was nice!!

southerno1

I've had the 924G for about 3 weeks now. So far I really like it. The FNR and kick-down make the machine super easy to operate. It took a good 2 days to get accustomed to it, but it really does a lot of work compared to what the TCM does in the same amount of time. Noticable increase in fuel consumption, but it should make up for that with productivity.

southerno1

THought I'd come back to report on my machine after a year of use. I've now loaded out about 15,000 tons of peanuts and the machine is doing better than I would have thought. I had a custom roll-out bucket installed(about 8 cu. yd.), and it allows me to load 25 tons in about 12 minutes via a 36" belt conveyor. Really nice and efficient.

southerno1

Well, I'm back after several years absence to report that my loader is still doing a fine job. One of the best investments I've ever made. I have really enjoyed it. Can't believe it's been 4 years since my last post. Wow!