• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

922b clutch pressure problems

Sandhills-elect

Occupation
electrical contractor
Hello, i have a cat 922b with clutch pressure problems, it will start out at 250 psi, use it a while no set time, and then all of a sudden will loose pressure, i can shut it off and wait just a little bit and restart and it will come back to 250 again, but usually does not last as long as the first time. I have new 15-40 motor oil in the trans, changed the filter, and cleaned the screen (had nothing), and this made no differance. Have any ideas to my problem. Thanks Brent!

panlanrs

15w- 40 oil in the transmission ? Pretty sure that ain't the right oil to start with.

Sandhills-elect

Occupation
electrical contractor
15w- 40 oil in the transmission ? Pretty sure that ain't the right oil to start with.

in the book it calls for straight 30wt, if it is below 32F you dilute with kerosene, so i just used a multi viscosity that they did not have in 1964. Brent.

Sandhills-elect

Occupation
electrical contractor
Hello, i have a cat 922b with clutch pressure problems, it will start out at 250 psi, use it a while no set time, and then all of a sudden will loose pressure, i can shut it off and wait just a little bit and restart and it will come back to 250 again, but usually does not last as long as the first time. I have new 15-40 motor oil in the trans, changed the filter, and cleaned the screen (had nothing), and this made no differance. Have any ideas to my problem. Thanks Brent!

I am thinking weak spring in control valve, or bad transmission pump. Brent.

grandpa

Sandhills.... that oil should work fine for you , double check rating, it should be a TO2 if TO4,, so much the better, I'd say its a transmission pump laying down on you.. sadly to say they don't last forever. Take a pressure on the pump and follow it, if it drops of as you've stated , replace the pump. Pump change isn't too bad a job, couple hoses and bolts and she's out,,,, just the same they are heavy little buggers... good luck Gramps

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If you do dig into it I suggest when you rebuild use an SAE30 oil that meets TO-4 specification. Multigrade oils, especially engine oils, do not have the additive package required for transmission clutch service. It's very difficult for multigrades to meet TO-4 specs. Even in cold weather you should be fine with a 30 grade.

Sandhills-elect

Occupation
electrical contractor
I am using 15-40 john Deere oil 50 plus, and it says it is a ci-4, i am really not sure what that means. What good name brand oil runs the TO-4? I am in the sticks here so it is a 75 mile drive to a town of more than 200 people. Thanks Brent.

Sandhills-elect

Occupation
electrical contractor
I am using 15-40 john Deere oil 50 plus, and it says it is a ci-4, i am really not sure what that means. What good name brand oil runs the TO-4? I am in the sticks here so it is a 75 mile drive to a town of more than 200 people. Thanks Brent.

I checked it out and it is spec out to cat TO-2 so i think i will be alright. Sorry for asking what To-4 was i found out it is cat oil number. Thanks again for all the help! Brent.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
API CI-4 is an engine oil service classification, that would be logical as the oil is a multigrade viscosity SAE 15W/40. The latest word in engine oil specification is API CJ-4 Plus.

TO-4 is a classification for transmission oils. Originally it started life as a Cat specification but later became an industry-wide standard for all power train oils. Some (but not many in my experience) oils can meet both engine and transmission classifications. TO-2 (aka Transmission Oil #2) was the former specification and has now been replaced by TO-4 with improved additive packages for modern powershift transmissions. However your 922B will be of an age where it was most likely designed to run on TO-2 oil originally anyway, so any oil meeting TO-2 should be fine to use in the tranny, even a mulitgrade. I checked out your J-D oil by the way and you're right, it does meet Caterpillar TO-2 specification. So it should do you fine in your loader.

I wonder if you have a seal somehwere in the transmission control valve somewhere that has gone hard and lets go when it gets hot ..?

Sandhills-elect

Occupation
electrical contractor
That maybe be, i do recall that i would fall down sometimes to a 100-150 then come back up, i was not just staring at the gauge because i was using it so could not watch it all the time, the trans works very well lots of power until the pressure falls off, and you don't notice it until it is under 100. Seems once it fall under 100 it falls clear off and never recovers, until i shut it off wait a while then i seem to come back around. I have only owned the machine for a few months and it just started this. That is the reason i am after some ideas and you guys been great help! Thanks again Brent.

>HevyIndsMFGng<

Occupation
Mechanic/Student
Looking forward to the update! This thread is a great learning experience for a guy who is looking to know more about heavy equipment. ;D

Sandhills-elect

Occupation
electrical contractor
I will update all when i have chance to get the new pump in, i have it, but a little on the cold side here right now, and i don't have a heated shop to do it in. If i needed right a this time i would get it done, but since i don't i am waiting for a warmer day, Thanks and stay tuned. Brent

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
Sounds more like the clutch pressure regulating valve acting up or the pump is losing its supply for some reason. A pump is either worn out or not, if it is shot then the pressure would be low all the time. Don't know about your machine, if the pump supply is external or internal, external check for a collapsed suction hose. Have heard of a rag left in the sump and getting sucked up into the suction screen then when you shut it off the rag drops off.

Rusted

Sounds more like the clutch pressure regulating valve acting up or the pump is losing its supply for some reason. A pump is either worn out or not, if it is shot then the pressure would be low all the time. Don't know about your machine, if the pump supply is external or internal, external check for a collapsed suction hose. Have heard of a rag left in the sump and getting sucked up into the suction screen then when you shut it off the rag drops off.

I'm inclined to agree about the pump not being the cause. The transmission pump on the 922 is mounted on the top of the transmission case, and the hydraulic pump is attached to the transmission pump sharing a common drive, so the whole lot has to come off to get at the transmission pump.

shopguy

Yea check pr valveon bell housing,suction strainer in drop box

Sandhills-elect

Occupation
electrical contractor
Is there a check up to the pump? I checked the screen when i replaced the oil and had nothing in it, i did look it over the other day and it looks like someone has already done the pump, it is not cat yellow like the hydrualic pump, not saying it might not be bad. I am starting to think maybe i am loseing hydraulic suction for some reason, i usually just have to shut it off wait a minute and refire and go, it seems to be worse if you don't keep your rpms up. Anymore ideas or direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys for all the help Brent!