• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

89 Cat 426B loss of power

MattCAT89

Recently came into a 426B Cat backhoe. It ran great with plenty of power but after I repacked several rams, installed new starter it loss nearly all of its power. I replaced the fuel filter and air filter. It runs fine at idle and I can drive it around but it won’t get out of first gear and when you try to use any hydraulics while driving, it boggs down but won’t die just loose its power. Any ideas ??? What would cause it to loose all the torque and power but still run and idle ok ?

heymccall

Well, I suppose I picked the wrong serial number range.

For further discussion, a full serial number would help.

Irregardless, the transfer pump on that Perkins engine will have a screen under a removable top cover. The transfer pump is on the passenger side of engine behind the boom tower upright.

Is it possible that you've displaced a gasket or seal on the fuel separator?

If you did displace a seal on the yellow filter, you'd have a fuel leak. The separator, however, is on the "suck" side of the transfer pump. The yellow filter is on the pressure side.

And, if you loosened any fuel lines at their connections, especially on a machine of that vintage, the rubber compression ring will need replaced.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
THATS the set-up that, IF u put the orings ON the filter it chokes off the fuel..
U HAVE TO put the orings UP IN the filter head NOT ON the filter..

oilslick

Listen to thepumpguy, my dad did exactly what he's talking about and it lost prime. Good luck and report back,eh?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Lol.. Hi Oilslick.. U still runnin strong.??
I remember u.. U guys fought that thing for months & w/ 1 phone call, I screwed myself outta a pump overhaul..Lol