• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

85g Deere power issues

tysonj0331

We are at 6000'-8000' elevation and the new 85g deere feels very gutless. With a 3' bucket the turret can hardly turn its self around at a slight angle when bucket is empty. Has anyone done anything to increase power at altitude? The A/C doest work either, and we got other 85g deers from the dealer so its not just this machine. They are perfect size for mountain work, just can not perform. I was told the 85d had a turbo, and the 85g series does not? I may have to start buying CATS 308.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Tyson;)! Altitude issues with the 85G can be adjusted by your dealer. There is an adjustment done through the MPDr program called Power Mode Torque Adjustment. For altitudes exceeding 6600' the Power Mode needs to be adjusted -12 Nm (that is a negative 12). This adjustment makes for a better match of engine HP to pump HP when at higher altitudes and should improve engine performance.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Try the WN ET90 and or the Takeuchi TB290. Both work great at elevation and both are very fast machines.

tysonj0331

The tech came out and the machine was set to positive 16, and is now at negative 12. What a difference it made, night and day. The 85g is not a nimble as some of the machines in its class still, but we bought it because when looking it was the most overbuilt for durability in my opinion. The 308 CAT felt was faster, but the 85g felt a lot bigger and stronger just slower. We also just added a 410L backhoe to the fleet and that hoe is downright impressive.