• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

850k track keeps popping?

Ray Myers

I have a 2015 850k LGP with a 6 way blade on it. It has WLT tracks on it. It has around 300 hours on a new SALT U/C,sprockets, and top rollers. It occasionally pops on the right side track at the sprocket. Track tension is good, nothing lodged in it, and I keep the tracks cleaned out. Sometimes you can run it for 5-6 hours and it won’t do it, other times it will sporadically do it. It’s not a really loud pop but you can feel it kind of chattering and hear it. It looks like it is trying to climb the sprocket in spots. It has me stumped trying to figure it out.

Welder Dave

What brand of undercarriage? Mine does it occasionally but usually happens during or after a turn.

Welder Dave

I think it's decent aftermarket undercarriage. Try and document what you were doing with the machine when it pops. Is it pushing in a straight line, reversing, turning, etc. Then you might be able to pinpoint what is causing it. Track slightly too tight or loose, sideways force on the track, etc. The below link may help.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/850k-popping-undercarriage.52993/

Last edited:

Ray Myers

I think it's decent aftermarket undercarriage. Try and document what you were doing with the machine when it pops. Is it pushing in a straight line, reversing, turning, etc. Then you might be able to pinpoint what is causing it. Track slightly too tight or loose, sideways force on the track, etc. The below link may help.

Mine is doing something similar to that. I have a John Deere 850K. I seen that one before I posted this. I was trying to see if anyone had this problem with a Deere dozer. I should have specified

Ray Myers

Most of the the time it does it under a load. But it doesn’t do it in reverse. Other than that it’s hit or miss. I’ve even picked it up with the blade and the ripper and it still did it with no weight on the tracks

Welder Dave

What type of material are you working in? I don't think it matters too much which machine it's happening on. The cause is probably similar.

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
Machines with a planetry type sprocket hub with the track frames mounted forward of them on a pivot shaft seem to let material fall into the track chains which them packs in the root of the sprocket tooth causing the track to go tight and to try and climb over the sprocket tooth. I spent yrs on TD 15Cs and in sandy material they always did it and when working in sand or loose flowing material we always used to slacken the tracks of and avoid tight turns, and working where the material flowed down against the sprockets, when it happened we used to run in REV for a bit as that let the material drop out of the chains as it went over the top rollers and clear the stuff out of the sprocket root. You could get special sprockets that had the root of the tooth cut away that stopped the build up of material in there which solved the problem a bit. Hopefully that might help U , machines like low drive D6, D 65 Komatsu and the like weren't as bad coz they have a roller guard and track frame that don't leave a gap for sand to get into. Next time it does it get off and have a look and see if any thing is in the chains or pressed in to the root of the sprocket.

Ray Myers

Machines with a planetry type sprocket hub with the track frames mounted forward of them on a pivot shaft seem to let material fall into the track chains which them packs in the root of the sprocket tooth causing the track to go tight and to try and climb over the sprocket tooth. I spent yrs on TD 15Cs and in sandy material they always did it and when working in sand or loose flowing material we always used to slacken the tracks of and avoid tight turns, and working where the material flowed down against the sprockets, when it happened we used to run in REV for a bit as that let the material drop out of the chains as it went over the top rollers and clear the stuff out of the sprocket root. You could get special sprockets that had the root of the tooth cut away that stopped the build up of material in there which solved the problem a bit. Hopefully that might help U , machines like low drive D6, D 65 Komatsu and the like weren't as bad coz they have a roller guard and track frame that don't leave a gap for sand to get into. Next time it does it get off and have a look and see if any thing is in the chains or pressed in to the root of the sprocket.
That would make since. I’m normally in sand and red clay. So that may be the issue. It’s just one track that is doing it so that worries me. But I’ll check it for sure. Thank you

Tinkerer

I know you posted that the track tension is good. But, when it starts the track starts popping does the track appear to be way too tight ??
I ran dozers a lot in snow and the tracks would get packed full and they would pop like you describe.

skadill

Had similar on excavator years ago,was a cracked tension recoil spring only a coil or two from the spring end,track seemed tight,but if pushed the bucket against it it would recoil a bit,other side wouldn't.It just lets a bit of extra slack appear in the track momentarily under harder load.causing a tooth skip.

Ray Myers

I know you posted that the track tension is good. But, when it starts the track starts popping does the track appear to be way too tight ??
I ran dozers a lot in snow and the tracks would get packed full and they would pop like you describe.
Not really. It actually was more slack that the other side. I adjusted it yesterday and it didn’t fix it.

Ray Myers

Had similar on excavator years ago,was a cracked tension recoil spring only a coil or two from the spring end,track seemed tight,but if pushed the bucket against it it would recoil a bit,other side wouldn't.It just lets a bit of extra slack appear in the track momentarily under harder load.causing a tooth skip.
I’ll check into that when I get a chance to tear into it