• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

8040 Zoom Boom Stuck Cylinder pin...

Hello HeEq guys.

I'm having an issue with a stuck cylinder pin, i want to remove the cylinder for rebuild but i can get the pin to press out. The machine is an older 8040 ZoomBoom built in i believe about 1992. Its the front body tilt cylinder on the right hand side and its the upper pin. Now maybe i'm wrong but shouldn't this pin just press out like most? I even built a 20-ton bottle jack press without any luck at all not a budge. The pin appears to have lacked greasing in the past, its a rental machine so its has been quite neglected. heres a couple pictures...

I have though seriously about cutting the cylinder bracket off sending it out and and welding the bracket pieces back on upon return... any suggestions?
IMG_0254.jpgIMG_0255.jpgIMG_0256.jpgIMG_0257.jpg

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Apply heat to the bosses. Lots of heat... Try to avoid the base of e cylinder to prevent damaging the seals. Once cherry, quench with cold water and beat the end. Heating and quenching usually frees most pins. If not, blow a hole through the centre of the pin. (From both sides) you will want to be careful and steady not to blow off course. Once a hole is all the way through, that will relieve the seizure and allow he pin to drift out.
Good luck.
IMO, I'd sacrifice the pin before anything else.

barklee

probably not a great idea....but can you get a pipe wrench on the end of that pin? It looks like you can from this angle. Maybe with some heat, pressing, and spinning it would pop out.
Those old Carelifts are nice machines!! Very tough

Delmer

You might get away with blowing a hole the depth of each ear, rather than through the whole pin (if you don't want to mess with a lance). Or you could drill the hole and fill it with weld at high amperage, trying to heat the pin hot enough to squish it inside the ear so that it will shrink when it cools.

Or if you want to try the press again, make sure the ears are supported so they aren't bending, put shims between the ears and the tab on the cylinder so pushing on the pin doesn't deflect/bind the ears.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Take the right front wheel off of the machine and support the axle with a proper stand, then simply remove the guts of the cylinder with the body of the cylinder (the stuck pin) still attached to the machine frame. BTW, you need to remove that manifold block to be able to pull the rod/piston out of the cylinder housing.

Thanks alot guys, i guys alot of heat and 4 buckets of cold water can do soem amazing things! after heating the thing to the temperatures of Hell and a great deal of 16 pound sledge swinging as if i were shaping the stones of the great Great Pyramid she slowly work her way out. Tried using the press after the heat but it just wasn't fast enough getting it into place or it was binding the ears together as you said Delmer. Much appreciated input guys. ill remember this for the future.